Skip to main content

Real Mom Diaries (adult language)




I had my kids out at the theme park yesterday, well actually, the water park and then the theme park (spoiled little buggers). So of course, my son could not let the rather long and successful day go without causing an incident.

He is eleven, and I swear to god, he seems to have absolutely no self-control whatsoever when it comes to food. Almost every time that I mention this to another mother they swear that their son is the same way. It totally boggles my mind.

So it was late, and they wanted to hit one more roller coaster, and I hustled everyone into a restaurant that was getting close to closing just so that I could fill up my cup of coffee.

Just when I am handing my mug to the woman behind the counter who is about to deliver me that cup of rich warm heaven, I hear I woman shrieking at me from a couple of spaces back in line.

After I managed to decipher her alien language and figure out why in the hell she was pointing at my son like he had just torn the head off of a baby lamb (seriously, I was just about to look around for the blood-splatter), I got the message.

She was swearing up one side and sown the other that he had stuck his finger in one of the strawberry cheesecakes that the restaurant, (god love them), always puts in easy reach of children in a sparkly, shiny, sugary, spotlight. My son was shaking his head emphatically insisting that he had not.

Of course, I did not believe my son. I know that he has no rational thought when placed in close proximity to food, and I am an engaged and very observant parent, but it happened to be at that one special moment when I was attempting to communicate with an adult human for the purpose of procuring my damn coffee!

I could see absolutely no physical markings on any of the red jelly coated slices of slow death. We don’t eat sugar, and I could not bring myself to purchase a perfectly sellable piece of cake, to appease “I have never been in the presence of a human child in my entire life” lady in the back of the line.

I proceeded to give my son a rather ferocious public lecture about his behavior, along with grounding him from electronics for two days, before collecting my now not quite so blissfully exciting coffee, and herding the children out the door.

I was totally livid, but I honestly didn’t know whether I was more upset with my son, or with screech-owl lady, or with myself for not catching the kid in the moment. I pride myself on being a mom with really well behaved children, and having your kid called out in public sucks.

The more that I thought about it however, I realized how absolutely inappropriate the woman’s reaction actually was. On a realistic estimate, with those desserts that close to the public, one hundred fingers a day in the cheesecake is probably a very low guess.

After further long and laborious questioning of my son, he insisted that there was sauce running over the side of the plate, and that yes, he scooped it up with his finger and licked it. His grounding stands, and he knows that he will face some serious wrath if anything of the like ever happens again.

Unfortunately, the child-intolerant over-reactive lady who pointed out his behavior in line will never have the satisfaction of seeing him in the stocks, or publicly flogged as it was clear she thought he deserved.

In case you don’t have kids and might be interested in a recommendation as to how to deal with other people’s children who are misbehaving in public: all that I ever need to do is make eye-contact with the child committing the offense, and give them the look and they usually stop immediately.

The last thing that a mother needs is some random bystander freaking out on her child in public. No, this isn’t Europe. We don’t put the children away somewhere so that the adults will not be bothered.

Oh, and yeah, kids really like theme parks. Most parents take kids there and get them all hopped up on sugar too. Some of them go crazy pants out-of-control. If you dislike children I don’t recommend that you ever go there, ever, because you will not have a good time.

If you aren’t a parent, please try to be patient with us. We are all trying. Yesterday was just a normal day in my life of being a mom. I have three hundred and sixty-five of them every year, and I openly accept donations of coffee.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…