Skip to main content

A Complete And Total Mystery (Adult Language)






My husband and I were in our early twenties when we decided to become foster parents, and it was not until we started attending the training meetings that we learned that there is a horrible stigma placed upon the position. I didn’t understand it at all.

Every aspiring foster parent that I met as well as every person that had been doing the job for years upon years was absolutely wonderful. The majority of them were completely giving and generous people who knew a hell of a lot about raising children. I am grateful to this day for what I learned about parenting from foster volunteers, and from my own foster kids.

When I learned that there was a belief held by the general public that people merely foster for the money, I was absolutely floored. We barely received enough money from the state to feed the children in our care, let alone all of the other expenses that come along with kids.

So, why the myth? After all of these years, I have determined that the general public has decided to base their opinion of foster parenting on the few horrific incidents that have landed themselves in the drama generator of the press, and that opinion comes in as a fucking brilliant excuse for most people not to foster kids.

In reality, the majority of unfortunate situations that arise for children in the foster system can either be attributed to a lack of individual attention because of a completely overwhelmed system, or the other children that each kid is exposed to as a part of that system. Bottom line: if there were more good people out there willing to take in kids, the system would run a hell of a lot better.

My husband and I had planned to have one biological child of our own and then adopt, before we fell into the whirlwind that gifted us with three beautiful, wonderful, kids. I still have to avoid looking at adoption periodicals because they hurt my heart so deeply.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why people are unwilling to take in these absolutely amazing children who are in desperate need of homes and families. I cannot understand why more people do not adopt, and why they will alternatively spend thousands and thousands of dollars on medical procedures to create life when there are thousands of lives already out there in need of them.

I can understand a couple wanting to go through the experience of being pregnant, and bearing a child, but I absolutely cannot understand why people are so unwilling to take parentless children into their homes.

Then, when I see the sort of effort that is being put into arbitrarily pointless missions and causes in our country while all of these children are just waiting and praying for decent homes and families, it makes me want to scream, and then cry, and then go to the bank to take out a frigging loan so that I can afford to raise all of the kids that no one seems to have any consideration for.

In this world where everyone seems to have a passionate attachment to a cause, or a vehement opinion on an issue why don’t any of us seem to give a crap about kids? It is still beyond my conception how anyone thinks that his or her time is better spent on…well on almost anything else.

Everyone learns to base their opinions on the information that comes most intimately through friends and family. When you speak to your loved ones, I ask you to speak kindly of adoption. Even with the simple acknowledgement of the fact that there are loving children out there in need of families, every person can make a difference in their situation. Everyone can help kids, if we are willing to believe in how much they truly matter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…