Skip to main content

Everybody Has A Hard Luck Story


 

It is a line from one of my favorite books by Tom Robbins. The character in the story that proclaims it is dying of rectal cancer. I read the book for the first time almost twenty years ago now, and it has always been very important to me. This specific line in particular; all through my life, I have never seen it disproved. I mean, unless there are a bunch of people out there living super idyllic lives that I have never managed to bump into…everyone that I know has gone through their own sort of hardship or lived through some sort of hell. It is a really important reason for all of us to try and be gentle with other human beings, and to always attempt to give them space to speak their truth. The things that people I know have lived through range from the heartbreaking to the truly un-believable. I have been told some of these stories by people that I had barely even met who chose to open up to me. In the end though, it seems that the difficult things we go through, never fail to make us a little stronger and a little more human along the way.

A lot of the people that I know who have lived through the hardest challenges end up dedicating their lives to helping other people. Some people come out the other end just seeking to find some sense of normalcy in life. Oftentimes, people are struggling far more than we are able to recognize, even when we are very close to them. On the one hand, depending how we are brought up, many of us are taught to suffer in silence, and then others of us just have a horrible time enduring sympathy, or even receiving advice. I believe that humans collectively fear being pitied, and that is one of the reasons that we all suffer so stubbornly, alone.

The thing is that we just haven’t gotten to a spiritually evolved point where we are good at being nosey with completely honest intentions. It is a result of most of us being taught to mind our business as children, and that other people deserve their privacy, and that being curious about someone else’s private behaviors is rude. Yes, it is very disrespectful, and highly destructive to gossip, but simply being concerned about the people that we care for is not. It is a truth that many of our friends could be helped and comforted greatly, on any random day, just by being asked how they are with genuine concern. Inquiring as to our friends emotional wellness reminds them that we care about them and gives them an opportunity to hand over some of the load that they are carrying on their shoulders.

By sharing these burdens we contribute to caring for the people that we love. How sad is it that there are often times when our friends are suffering and we don’t even know that they are in need of our help? I do believe that it takes a community to raise a child, but I also believe that it takes a community to care for each adult as well. Even with our ridiculously busy lifestyles, it is still always possible for us to find times to check in, and to check up on one another. It has become so easy in society today for people to isolate themselves, which is the exact thing that people who are suffering will tend to do. Reaching out can mean more to someone than you may possibly realize. Simply being there for the people that you love when they are navigating rough waters; is a wonderful thing to be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…