Skip to main content

An Outspoken Opinion In Light Of Recent Events (Adult Language)




I have been annoyed since last night, and more than annoyed, I have been very concerned for some of my loved ones. When things happen in celebrity news everyone seems to have something to say about it. Well, I don’t have anything to say about the guy, because I did not know him. Here is who I do know:

A lovely friend of mine, and her family lost her fifteen-year-old brother to suicide over two years ago. He was beautiful, and brilliant, and it was tragic, and it brings a tear to my eye every time that I think about him. I have a picture of him playing at the beach with my kids hanging in our bedroom. My close friend lost her father to suicide a couple of years ago. He was a husband, a father of three, and was expecting his first grandchild. My old roommate lost his brother to suicide a few years ago and I didn’t even know about it until last month, because it isn’t the sort of thing that people reach out and seek sympathy for…he had a wife and two kids. My second cousin ended his life leaving behind his son and daughter, and the rest of our family. When I started to think about it, the numbers of people I know that have been personally affected by suicide are staggering. As I was scrolling through the numerous, numerous, posts about this one celebrity who ended his life this morning, I noticed that my cousin spoke up about her distress over having to hear about it repeatedly at work today. She lost the love of her life to suicide several years ago.

So yes, on the one hand I can say: “Everybody shut the fuck up! You didn’t know this guy. There are people all around you who have been severely affected by the suicides of people that were actually a part of their lives, and it probably really fucking sucks for them to hear everybody going on about important it is to talk about god-dammed depression.” Here is the thing: it makes people who have lived through the suicide of a loved one feel like they have failed in some way. As if they could have done something that could have actually saved someone that they cared deeply about if they would have only learned some handy-dandy tips. That is not fucking true! Yes depression and bi-polar disease are things that need to be acknowledged. No, it is not cool to tell depressed people to perk up, that just makes you an ignorant asshole, but still, unfortunately, and I say this having taken one of the most highly rated suicide prevention courses in the country; it is very often only a matter of timing. I honestly believe that in the case of my very young friend, if the course of the day that he died would have gone just a bit differently, he might still be with us today. His family did not do anything wrong, and I can’t stand the fact that people are probably saying things if front of them today that might make them feel that way.

Sometimes there really aren’t very many signs. I know that it doesn’t make us feel very empowered to control things, but we aren’t even the important people being affected in this scenario: it is only that famous guy’s friends and family who have suffered a loss. To be quite blunt, the rest of us probably contributed to his death by putting the fucking pressure of fame on his shoulders. Now that you are thoroughly pissed off at my attitude, I can tell you that my husband reacted completely differently and was heart warmed by the immense outpour of concern that occurred as a result of said comedian’s death. All that I am asking is that you pay attention to who you are talking to, or in front of, in the wake of this tragedy, and what you actually know about suicide, depression, and substance abuse. And please don’t go trying to push anyone into getting on medication. I am not saying that people do not benefit from it, but it is incredibly difficult to regulate and not by any means a quick fix or a safety net for suicide prevention. Good solid counseling is by far more valuable, and the act of reaching out to those that we love whenever the thought strikes us is constantly underestimated. If you want to make a difference, just listen to your inner voice when it speaks to you. We so often push it aside. I am certainly not telling you that making a phone call is the way to save someone’s life, but falling back on that suicide prevention training that I took, you would be amazed by how much of a difference one phone call, or one simple visit can make.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…