Skip to main content

Simply Give Flowers





My husband and our close friend brought me an orchid and a bromeliad for Mother’s Day this year. My husband is a very brave man. I am a non-practicing florist (I worked at my parents' design school years and years ago), and for a man to bring home flowers to a well-educated florist is a scary endeavor. Even if I keep it to myself, he can usually be prepared for some sort of speculation about his purchase when he brings me flowers, and we haven’t stayed in one neighborhood long enough yet for me to just point him in the direction of a local florist who will make sure that my husband always gets it right. He did awesome with the orchid this year though. I was very happy.

In modern society a large majority of people underestimate the power of flowers. If you have the time, stop and do an experiment: put fresh flowers in a room where there weren’t any before, and observe how differently the room feels with the addition. Flowers can make a space feel more alive, more vibrant and organic. They can add a large amount of positive energy to a space. I have even heard an account from a teacher who worked with mentally challenged children who explained to me that she could never have fresh flowers in the schoolroom because the flowers were too loud and they distracted her students. Some of the kids even covered their ears when flowers were present…I find that pretty fascinating.

In a lot of places in Europe it is considered rude to have guests and not have fresh flowers in the house. I try to keep to that rule. It is a bit of a commitment, but I feel that it shows respect in a way. I have never had much luck keeping plants alive, so I usually stick to cut flowers. Never underestimate how much someone will appreciate receiving flowers. I can remember times when I have taken flowers to a hostess and rendered the woman literally giddy. I like to challenge people to gift a man with flowers because it can be an intimidating thing to do, but I can’t imagine that most men don’t privately appreciate it, because how can you really not like flowers?

One of the most disappointing events I have ever attended in my life was a wedding that was completely devoid of flowers. They had chosen to substitute candles instead, and the wedding was not even at night. To me it made the occasion less joyous, because to me flowers bring joy. If you do not often purchase flowers I strongly urge you to give the practice a try, and I will be completely honest in telling you that developing a relationship with a local florist will earn you a much higher quality product than you will ever get at the grocery store. In addition to that, you will be supporting a local, independent, artist. I love it when I feel good about the purchases that I make, especially when those purchases are gifts. After years of delivering them, I can’t quite completely explain the looks of joy that I have seen upon peoples’ faces when they receive flowers. It is a gift that compels a person to be in the now so that they can enjoy their present…because those flowers are precious; they will not be around forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…