Skip to main content

Puke




There are a lot of directions that I can go with this story. I have a pretty vast and multifaceted history with vomit…I have three children after all. I was going to go into the less humorous, sort of sad personal history that I have with throwing up and not throwing up. Don’t worry, this is something that I live with every day, and I have found a way to come to terms with it, and even to make light of my situation. I reached out to my sister in law yesterday, because aside from my father, she is the only person I know who can really understand my relationship with nausea and vomiting. She knows lots and lots of people who understand it though, because she works with kids who are fighting cancer and other terrible diseases, and those courageous kiddos endure a whole lot more nausea and vomiting along with countless other pains, than most of us can even imagine.

My frequent bouts of nausea and vomiting aren’t caused by anything life threatening. I am gluten intolerant, but I did not limit gluten from my diet entirely until I was around thirty years old, so I am living with thirty years of damage that has been done to my stomach, and only a handful of years of recovery. My stomach is recovering. I feel so much better than I did in my twenties and each year my condition improves. The fragile state of my stomach however, combined with the food allergies that I still have due to ragweed cross-pollinating with fruits and vegetables, makes it easy for an episode to set off. I also have a sensitivity to processed foods and additives, so although I try to be extra careful, and eat very clean homemade foods, sometimes I get sick not even knowing what caused it.

Normally I get dyspeptic, which means that my stomach starts producing mass amounts of gas and I bloat severely. This causes a tight sharp pain that can only be relieved by burping. Sometimes these episodes go on for several hours with me lying nauseous and in pain on the bathroom floor. Sometimes I am nauseous for longer than that, occasionally I have acid reflux, but that can usually be avoided as long as I get some carbohydrates into my stomach. Sometimes the episodes end in throwing up, and I am usually grateful at those times because if I throw up, the pain ends afterwards. I was jokingly telling my sister in law yesterday, that I am always just really thrilled when I don’t throw up so hard that I break the little blood vessels around my eyes.

Nausea is something that a great number of people do not understand, because when it comes to constant unyielding nausea, many people have not experienced it. In my life today, I am rarely nauseous for more than a few hours at a time without relief; that is how I get through it, because I know that there will be an end. Twice in my life however, during my two pregnancies I experienced the unending nausea for three months straight. Even then, I knew that there would be an end to the pain; and yes I do call it pain, because being severely nauseous for days upon days can barely be described to someone who has not experienced it, but it is hellish. What breaks my heart is that I know how many people live with it day after day after day. Some of these people are elderly, many of them suffer from serious diseases, and a great number of them are kids. From knowing about the disease that my sister in law suffered, and the nearly three years that she suffered from unrelenting nausea, I know that although there are drugs available that are supposed to ease or eliminate nausea, many of them are ineffective and often they just aren’t administered because they are dangerous for patients suffering from certain conditions. There was never a drug that the doctors were able to administer that eased her constant nausea…not for three years.

Of all of the arguments that you have probably heard about marijuana, you may not have heard this one before. It is one of the absolute most effective treatments for nausea in existence, it is natural, and it is safer than any other dangerous anti-nausea medication available. It is not something that I wished I had yesterday when something set me off and I laid on the bathroom floor in agony for fifteen minutes before throwing up, but if I had a child who was suffering from nausea for an extended period of time, I would absolutely want to have it available to give to them. At this point mild types of the drug have been isolated that can be administered orally, so I am definitely not talking about anyone smoking anything in a hospital bed, and I won’t even go into the pain-relieving qualities that the drug has as well. My only point is that as compassionate human beings, we need to make sure that it is available to the people who are suffering. Marijuana desperately needs to be available in hospitals in every state, and to people with chronic illnesses; it is the only right thing to do.


Comments

  1. Amen! Sadly, I still deal with it far too often. My stomach, esophagus, and teeth will never be the same. blarg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…