Skip to main content

The Costco Effect






I love Costco. Even after moving back to the Orlando area and finding that I have to drive at least thirty minutes to get to any of their stores in the area, I still keep my membership and drive the thirty minutes. They are one of the most reputable companies in the country, because of the way that they treat their employees. They have actually been criticized by business experts for cheating their shareholders by treating their employees so well. They also carry a huge variety of organic, and non-GMO products that are difficult to find at such a low price anywhere else. I am checked out year after year by the same pleasant and up-beat individuals every time that I visit the same store. It makes me feel good to shop there.

There is another side to this story. I have yet to understand how or why it happens, but to be honest it truly, deeply frightens me. I know that people have joked about Costco’s abundance of samples for years, and I do believe that the samples may be one of the things that draws the freakish crowds into the stores, but that can’t explain it completely. Is it just me who only takes my children to the store out of necessity? Am I the only person who heads in with a list and a plan to get in and out as quickly as possible, so that I can move on and live my frigging life already?

When I go to Costco some days, I feel like I have walked right into the middle of the zombie apocalypse. Herds of human beings wander around openmouthed, with no apparent goal whatsoever. They are not courteous, they seem to be barely awake, they move slowly most of the time, and in a different direction form the one that their vision is taking in. I have seen family groups that I swear I could count into the teens and twenties, herding around the store together. Why is Costco the destination for a family outing? Why have I seen children riding around the store on sample bicycles, or elderly couples having sit-ins in the sample furniture with seemingly no intention of going anywhere anytime soon? I literally wonder if they have to be kicked out when the store closes. These aren’t masses of people with nowhere to go, I can’t see how the homeless would pay for a Costco membership fee just to hang out all day and enjoy the air-conditioning.

I guess what frightens me the most is the fact that these people just aren’t doing anything…well nothing but wasting a whole lot of time and potential. Sometimes I want to scream at them. “Why are you here? What are you even doing? Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!” Of course it annoys me trying to navigate around all of their semi-conscious, space-sucking bodies, but I feel even more sorry for the merchants who are there with bigger carts that are harder to handle, who need to get product for their stores and restaurants. I am simply morally disturbed by this phenomenon, but the poor merchants are having their business days disrupted. I know that this is a rant, and I know that it is totally possible that all of these people who I find so disturbing all go home at the end of the day and fall into highly productive lives, but I seriously doubt it. I think that when I go to Costco I just get a condensed glimpse at the problem in our country. These are the numb ones. These are the people who go home and sit in front of the TV for hours, and eat sugary foods, and don’t vote, and don’t play with their children, and never create anything. I desperately want to do whatever it takes to wake them all up, and repair the world. Is that so wrong?


Comments

  1. That's why we got the "executive" membership. It lets me in at 10 during the week to avoid the "sample" crowds. Try it out, it's $50.00 a yr more than their regular but if you shop as often as we do , it pays for itself with the 2% rebate. Even better..they will refund the membership [difference] if you don't save enough to pay for it in the year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…