Skip to main content

Happy Derby Day





To preface, this will be a bunch of first hand knowledge, coming from a complete laymen in the industry. I am simply a constant observer with an opinion…and I like animals, but enjoy making animal rights organizations look ridiculous because I believe that for the majority they are poorly organized and totally corrupt. My family farm is in Indiana just across the river from Louisville Kentucky. My grandfather bred and ran racehorses as my uncle does now, many of them at The Downs. I have wandered the horse barns there, and braved the cigar smoke in the trainer’s room as a child.

Horse racing is a horrible industry as is any industry that involves animals and gambling. Animals constantly get hurt because of people’s greed. Horses legs get iced so that it will numb the pain, and this makes them more likely to stumble on the track and suffer sever injury. In the history of horse racing, horses have been poisoned and killed, and barns of thoroughbreds have been purposely set on fire. I have been around a lot of racehorses and I honestly have to say that I have never really met a happy one. Maybe they are only actually happy when they are on the track. Otherwise, I learned at an early age to keep my distance because they often bite and throw their heads. Imagine an animal that is bred to want to run so badly that it is constantly wired. They are like horses that are on methamphetamine all of the time, and the only thing that calms them is to run and run and run. I can’t see how it is a very happy existence for them.

This is likely surprising info. Especially when it is coming from a woman who has a racehorse named after her. Her name was Krissy Kes and she did okay back in the late eighties, even won a few races. The worst part about my whole story is that many years ago the animal rights groups managed to get legislation passed that illegalized selling old horses for meat. If you are ignorant to how horses die, this may sound like a good idea, but the reality is cruel and torturous. I am sure that most people believe that retired racehorses live out their years on happy farms being bred and well taken care of. That is not the case for the majority of them. The Derby happens one day a year, and those horses that you watch on television are the celebrities of horse racing. There are many, many, horses out there that are not nearly so entitled or well treated as they are.

A great deal of horses end up being kept on small farms by elderly owners who do not have a lot of money. They take care of the horses because they care about them, even though they can barely afford to feed them. Before the new law passed, when a horse started to get old and sick, their owner could call “the killer” to come and pick them up and take them to be slaughtered. This may sound cruel, but the horses were slaughtered humanely, whereas the alternative is gruesome. When horses get old and sick their hooves rot and they cannot be shod. Parasites and maggots infest them from the feet up and literally eat them alive. This can go on for months and months while the once majestic animals suffer. When farmers have very little money, and cannot afford the fees involved in calling out a professional to put the animal down, and haul away and dispose of the body, they are often forced into this situation. In my opinion, I would much rather die a quick and easy death, no matter who ate me after I was dead, rather than suffer being eaten alive.

Yes, the horses are beautiful to look at, and the events are very exciting. Beyond what happens to these beautiful animals are the stories of the people who have lost their livelihoods to betting on races, and the jockeys who have been permanently injured or killed. The sparkle and the glamour is all just a big cover for the ugliness of the reality of horse racing.  
  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…