Skip to main content

The Power Of Sunshine











My favorite city in the world is Portland Oregon, and I can say that pretty fairly because I have lived in quite a few cities. I can’t live there though. I crave the sunshine too much. After one or two days of solid grey skies I start to get sad, and Portland often has far more than just a few cloudy days in a row. Living in Florida, I get to walk outside almost every single day, and give thanks for the gorgeous beautiful sunshine. I think about sunshine quite a lot too, and I pay attention to all of the amazing things that it can do. Living here, I feel like a lot of my friends and neighbors hide from the sun. I know a lot of people who set their air conditioners to arctic temperatures at home. I take a sweater with me when I know that I am going to be inside anywhere besides my own house here in Florida. I have even been scolded for getting too much sun more than once.

The picture shown here is one of me at my most tan, and I think that it is a sad excuse for a tan, but I know that I am pretty white to begin with. The thing is that I am not too eficient at absorbing nutrients through my stomach, so the idea that I can get free D vitamins any time that I like, is a really attractive one. I like to get out in the sun, and get out in it often. I honestly think that it is really sad the way in which we have all adopted a total rejection of the sun at this point. I feel like after everybody went really overboard when I was a kid in the eighties, and fried the bejebers out of their skin, they set the rest of us up to be scared to death of sun exposure. I am not though, and I don’t want for my kids to be. I am not saying that when we are out at the beach, or outside in the sun for an extended period of time, that we don’t put on sunscreen. I am almost always wearing a hat outside myself, but I do think that a good thirty minutes of uninhibited sun exposure is a really healthy thing.

When my daughter was in kindergarten in public school, I was recruited by her wonderful teacher as a room mother for the class. I remember sitting in that tiny, artificially lit, stinky, kid packed room. All that I could do was think ahead to the time that we could take the children out for recess, and get them out in the sunshine to burn off all of the germs that they had spent the day passing around to each other. We were lucky to be in Florida where we could get them outside on most schooldays. I cannot imagine what it must be like in places where it is too cold in the winter for the kids to play outside. They need that sunshine after being cooped up inside for hours. In studying about biological dentistry, I learned that sunshine is actually really good for teeth. From what I understand, full spectrum light can be really orally healing. I actually suggested to my daughter that she should go and stand out in the sunshine for a few minutes every day with her mouth open. She thinks that I am really funny.

We are living in a strange time for parenting, and it can be really hard to know what is the best thing for our kids. We are afraid of the predators who lurk outdoors, so we tend to pull the kiddos inside where we can keep them safe, and then they end up glued to electronic devices for entertainment. I even have friends with kids that have as many allergies as I do, and they are reluctant to get them out in all of the pollen and grass outside, because they know the result.  I think that in general we have shifted a little too far away from knowing how good for us some sunshine can be though. I am certainly not advising anyone to go out there and get burnt, but maybe we need to start questioning ourselves about whether or not we are really getting or daily dose of sunshine.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…