Skip to main content

Something To Think About






I used the baby center website to calculate the expense of caring for a child for the first year of his or her life. In my first search I included the cost of diapers, toiletries, and formula: I was taking into account the fact that most un-established, working, single mothers would not have the option to breastfeed. I did not include anything but the basics on this one: formula, clothes, and food. I did not add in toys or anything like that, and I didn’t calculate any of the new baby necessities: car seat, stroller, crib, and exe. Let’s consider that those could be gifted to the new mother. My first search came out at a total of $4,320. So this would be the first year’s cost (the first year being the least expensive), for a young mother who possibly lived near family or had someone that she could rely on for free childcare. In my second search I included the cost of childcare. The total for that search was $12,768 anually.

Sixty-nine percent of women who have abortions in our country are economically disadvantaged. This is an important percentage. Forty-two percent of women seeking abortions have incomes below 100% of the poverty line. That means that their yearly income is below $10,830. So, without any other living expenses at all, they couldn’t even make enough to afford keeping a baby alive and in childcare. In addition 74 percent of women obtaining abortions are under the age of thirty. Seventy-four percent...and fifty percent of women seeking abortions are under the age of twenty-five.

So for me, when I think about the idea of denying abortions to American women, basically what I am hearing is that in fifty percent of those cases children would be forced to have children. The easy answer that readily pours out of pro-life supporter’s mouths here is that these women should be giving their child up for adoption. I cannot imagine growing a child in my womb for nine moths of my life, spending those months putting everything that my body has into growing that life, and then handing it off to someone else to so as they will with my child. Could I conceive of ever doing it if I were in a desperate situation? I could conceive of it…but never in a million years would you see me asking a young, scared, confused, vulnerable woman to do such a thing. Quite frankly it is cruel. The average man has no concept of what goes into carrying and giving birth to a child. A woman’s body is completely transformed after having given birth to their first baby.

I do not believe that a man should ever speak about abortion, at least not publicly. I find it epically insulting. I won’t deny anyone a voice when they are in private with their significant other, but abortion is a woman’s issue, that is just how I feel. When politicians get up and speak about abortion, my stomach churns. More than sixteen million children in our country are living in poverty. When was the last time that you heard a politician talk about that? There are reportedly 1.6 million abortions in the US annually. Which number deserves more attention? Maybe the 123,000 children seeking to be adopted in the US should get the attention. Maybe the 463,000 in foster care should. Quite simply: taking away a person’s right to his or her own body is monstrous. It is simply something to think about.

If I have gotten you thinking, you should check out this short video featuring one politician who isn’t:





Abortion Demographics:

Baby Cost Calculator:

Abortion Statistics:

Child poverty info:

Foster and orphaned children:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Crustless Pumpkin Pie

This sophisticated version of pumpkin pie is amazingly smooth & rich. It is also Gluten-Free & free of Refined Sugar. 


Ingredients:

29oz pumpkin puree - 1 lg. can
1 stick unsalted butter - softened
8oz cream cheese - softened
5 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c. honey
1 c. GF flour 






Whipped cream:

1 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract




Honey to drizzle on top.





Making it Happen:

Combine all of the ingredients for the pie in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until well combined. When the batter is smooth, pour it into a greased 9x13 baking pan and bake in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees for one hour.





Allow the pie to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.




To make the whipped cream, blend the chilled heavy cream in a chilled bowl on high speed until it begins to thicken, add the vanilla and continue blending until the cream is thick. 





Plate pie with whipped cream & drizzle with honey. Enjoy!