Skip to main content

Identity Crisis








For a long time, I think that I have taken a lot of pride in being my husband’s trophy wife, so to speak. Not by that specific definition, but I enjoyed the fact that I could play his arm piece, that he was proud to show me off. Maybe it is because I have always stayed home with the kids, and I haven’t had a career before I finally embraced my writing and began to define myself as something besides my children’s mother and my husband’s wife.

I am going through a bit of a struggle right now, because I have finally hit the point where I am no longer that woman, and I know that I cannot pretend to be that woman anymore. Of course, I will always be his wife, and I will always be a mother to my children, but it is a bit frightening to consider the fact that none of them will likely want to show me off anymore, because I am on the cusp of becoming completely socially unacceptable.

I remember the first time that my friends and I helped my kids to dye their hair in crazy colors. I told my husband that I thought I would like to dye my hair as well. He asked me please not to, his reasoning being that his new boss might see me and have a problem with it, he even had some concerns about his boss possibly seeing the kids and being bothered by their hair. My husband is a wonderful and incredibly respectful man, and he asked me very nicely, and I had no problem complying with his wishes at that time. That was two years ago though, and I have changed.

My dream is to succeed where my parent’s generation failed. My dream is to follow through on my ideals and to do what is right no matter what society likes, and that pretty much means that I am going to have to make a lot of people uncomfortable along the way, even the people that I care about. I don’t like making people uncomfortable at all, I like making people happy, but not living up to who I really am just isn’t serving me anymore. I’m not old enough yet that people will just discount me as a silly old crazy lady, and that is the very reason that I have the power to do so much good.

My appearance and my manner of speech have begun to strongly reflect the person that I have become. I am beginning to appear unfashionably muscular, and this is only going to increase. I have stopped wearing a bra because I believe that not only are bras a health risk for women, but that they truly are oppressive as well. I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday, and she said that she would absolutely hate not wearing a bra because boobs look so much better with one on. I laughed to myself when she said that, because that’s not true at all. We are simply trained to believe that they look better that way. The only good reason that I can see any sense in wearing one is so that I don’t put an eye out when I exercise. And yet, the boobs and the muscles are more noticeable than the nails that I always refused to have done, or the designer bags that I never carried, or the diamonds that I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing.

I have an old friend who recently came out as being transgendered. I haven’t spoken with this person in a long time, so I don’t understand his specific reasons for deciding that he no longer wanted to be a woman, but I do honestly wonder if he would feel this way if we lived in a better world, where being a woman didn’t mean that you had to pretend that you wanted to be a Barbie doll to fit in. I love being a woman, but I sure as hell am sick and tired of all of the plasticized garbage that comes along with the title.

I guess that I am coming out as well, slowly but surely, as myself. It isn’t easy, but then nothing worth doing ever is. At points it might be fun as well; I am sort of looking forward to cleaning out my closet and trashing all of my high heels. It is a challenge though. On one side I am angry and passionate enough to want to scream out my opinions, and on the other I am still left feeling like I don’t want to upset anyone with my logic and knowledge…because lord knows, there is nothing more offensive than logic and knowledge. Except for maybe women…and that needs to change.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…