Skip to main content

Blessings In Disguise


Blessings In Disguise

My mother-in law once passed on some really wise advice to me. She said that someone told her to pray for grace and never for patience, because if you pray for patience you will simply be gifted with opportunities to learn patience better. It makes a lot of sense. I am also learning over the years, that blessings, the new ones, the ones that teach us and help us to grow into bigger and better human beings, more often than not come in disguise. Sometimes they make us sad, and sometimes they make us frustrated. Sometimes they even make us feel angry and frightened. The best thing that we can possibly do for ourselves in these moments is to find the strength to remember that we are being given a gift. No matter how hard the situation may be at the time, if we can take pause, and attempt to shift our perspective from a state of why is this happening to me? to a state of what is this trying to teach me? we can learn and change, and ease our own growing pains along the way.

Recently I have come to recognize that the universe is really good at reminding me when I happen to stray from my chosen path. The choices we make about how we choose to live our lives, just like anything else that we choose to do, need reinforcement. I remember when we had our wonderful homeopathic doctor in Louisville Kentucky when our babies were little. We saw him about once every two months, and because it was quite a trip to get to his office, and the natural food store was right down the street, we would always do the doctor visit and then go shopping right after. We would typically pick up the foods that we had been forgetting to eat, or the supplements we had been neglecting to take. There was never one single time that we went to visit that doctor, that I wasn’t reminded of something that I had been meaning to do in regards to my family’s health, that somehow I had forgotten to do; someplace where I had backtracked. Not because I meant to neglect our health at all, but simply because I had slipped up. Being healthy is not easy or convenient because our society has not set it up to be that way. Big business does not prosper from health, and that is why we are not a very healthy nation. So, our doctor’s job, for the most part, was guiding us to keep us on a more balanced track.

Now I understand that the universe, or my higher power, is doing the same thing for me day after day. If I am not paying attention to the little nudges that I am receiving to push me in the right direction, I get bigger ones and bigger ones. If I am really unfocused and ignore the direction in which my higher power is pushing me, I eventually get a message that is a glaring flashing sign in my face telling me that I need to change my ways. When things get to that point and I receive the glaring message…it is usually not a fun one, and once I realize what is going on I usually have to take a little time and recover…to lick my wounds so to speak. As long as I can remember that I have the responsibility to recognize the signs when they are small, as long as I can keep sight of the fact that these nudges, though not always particularly welcome, are ultimately good for me, I can feel safe. I can know a sense of peace because I have concrete proof that I am being looked out for and that I matter to the universe. Blessings can be funny that way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…