Skip to main content

Privilege and Responsibility


 
Privilege and Responsibility

I had a dream last night that I had a second car to pick up, and I let my youngest daughter follow me home driving it with my son as her passenger. She is eight years old. I still plan not to let my kids drive until they are eighteen years old. Not only do I think that the extra couple of years will give them more maturity when they begin driving, but I also like the idea that if they are any sort of accident after the age of eighteen, their father and I cannot be sued, and are still able to provide for them.

So it is a little odd that I dreamt that I let my daughter drive at age eight. I believe it is due to the fact that we have been giving the kids some new privileges lately that I am not entirely comfortable with yet. We live in a very safe neighborhood, and when we severely limited the time that they were allowed to watch TV recently, we told them that they would be allowed to take walks in the neighborhood alone. We have stipulations to this privilege. They all have to stay together, and carry a phone, and they cannot be gone for more than thirty minutes. I am still adjusting though.

Freedom and responsibility are very good things for kids, and I believe that the freedoms we are starting to allow them are age appropriate and very beneficial. I think that in the long run things are probably the hardest on mom. We are the ones who need the most adjustment to change when it comes to our kids, because we have this ferocious drive to protect them. My husband’s goddaughter lunged out of her high chair and crashed into the tile face first the other day. When I heard the news, and was assured that she was okay, I panicked. Not for the baby, but for her mother. Accidents with kids, I mean, it is probably a miracle that they happen as infrequently as they do. I can remember gobs of times where we had near misses when my kids were little. It is terrifying, and every single time it happens, us mothers have a tiny heart attack. Motherhood is nerve wracking, I have no idea how we survive it.

It has so much to do with trust, and trust in myself if I really look at the situation open-mindedly. I have to trust that they will be responsible with themselves. I have to trust that I have taught them the things that the need to know to keep themselves safe while venturing out on their own. I am handing them the responsibility, not only for their well being, but for mine. They are walking around out there, each one of them, with a little piece of my heart in their hands. I love the movie Finding Nemo. It has one of the most brilliant morals in the world. I always sob like a baby when I watch the musical at Animal Kingdom. It is vital that we let our kids have space to grow and explore on their own. It is also important that we let them develop their own ideals and identities. We are living in a world where it is more dangerous to do that than it was when we were children, but it is not impossible.

We need to continue to be creative and innovative in discovering ways for them to cultivate their own independence. We also need to dedicate ourselves to reducing the danger that had descended upon our communities and is threatening our kids. It is unacceptable, that because it is less safe outside, we bring the kids in, and turn them over to electronic devices for entertainment. I spent my childhood exploring the woods with the neighborhood kids, or riding the streets on my bike, barefoot, without a helmet. My parents knew all of our neighbors. I remember one night when dusk hit, and my mother thought that I was lost. In a matter of fifteen minutes she had twenty or thirty people out scouring the neighborhood for me. I was in the bedroom watching TV in the dark as it turns out, but the community was right there.

So I know, the better that I know my neighbors, the harder I work to cultivate friendships with them, the safer my kids will be. I can also feel more confident in allowing my kids to explore on their own. I also know that the more that my husband and I strive to be involved in our neighborhood and our community, the more impact we can have on how it is run. We as adults, have left the responsibility to nameless others for far too long now, and that is how we have gotten to the place that we are today. We must be involved in our government. For the sake of our children and other peoples’ children, we have got to get involved. The people who are in charge, just are not doing an adequate job. As adults today, we are taking advantage of a lot of privilege, without living up to our responsibilities. Time to step up.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…