Skip to main content

Excuse Me, What?


Excuse Me, What?

A friend forwarded me an article today regarding the new law that they have passed in the UAE requiring women to breastfeed for two years after giving birth. I don’t know where I would have stood ten years ago before I had my own children, but I have a pretty strong feeling that I would have decided not to have children of my own if that were the law in my country. My husband and I already believe strongly in adoption, so missing out on giving birth probably would have been far outweighed by the idea of following my country’s erroneous law for two years of my life!

Don’t get me wrong. I am totally in favor of breastfeeding. I believe women should have every right in the world to do it, when and where they want to…but them wanting to is the point! I breastfed my twins for an entire year, I believe that it was wonderful for them and they have been very healthy children. I do throw my sciatic out now, probably due to damage caused by sitting in breastfeeding position for a year of my life, but I am a mom, so I would happily sacrifice that for my kids any day. The point is that it was my well-educated choice, and no one was forcing me to do it. From what I understand, the way that this law has been written, men are able to sue their wives for not fulfilling the two-year commitment. What sort of progress can we possibly be making by turning women into virtual cattle? It, as far as I can see is nothing but sexist, barbaric, and insulting!

The whole reason that I breastfed my own children for so long is complex in itself. For one, they were small twins and I strongly believed that they needed the extra nutrition. For another, I was a stay at home mom. I did not have to deal with pumping or going to work. I made the choice to be a milk machine for my kids, but it was my choice. When my youngest daughter was five months old, I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. Because I was going to be on painkillers for a few days we gave her a bottle as a substitution. The minute that kid got one suck of a bottle, she never had a single interest of nursing from the breast again. My daughter is a smart and independent kid, sort of like her mom, she preferred the nipple that gave up milk ten times easier. I have to say, that even though I would have planned to nurse her longer, it was kind of a relief when she stopped nursing. I had three kids under age two at the time! My life was crazy!

I don’t know how the specifics of this law were written, but I try to imagine how it would have affected me. My youngest daughter was born when my twins were a year and a half old. Would I have been required to breastfeed three babies for six months of my life? Would the government have given a crap if I myself died of malnutrition? Since there were laws, men have been making laws that dictate what women are allowed to do with our bodies. It is disgusting and unacceptable. I cannot believe that in this day and age it is getting even worse. As women we do have a collective responsibility to each other, and men who are feminists have a responsibility to defend us as well. The global response to this ridiculous law should be outrage, as it should be to so many other laws that limit women, and keep us down. That is the only motivation behind this sort of manipulative stupidity. Seriously…



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…