Twenty Reasons…I love my climate.
I love living in Florida, and I don’t mind the heat. Here are a few of the reasons why.
1. Comfortable, casual, clothes. My usual uniform is a sports bra, a tank top, and a pair of shorts. I can go almost anywhere in this outfit and no one will bat an eyelash.
2. Vitamin D. I don’t absorb nutrients well, and I love the fact that all I have to do is go outside to suck up some vitamin D through my skin.
3. Sweat. Sweating is healthy. I sweat all of the time and I have a far better complexion than I ever did living in northern climates. Sweat flushes the toxins right out.
4. The skies here are fantastic. I guess it is because of all of the clouds moving over the peninsula every day. I could take a million pictures.
5. It’s basically always bathing suit season. There is a tiny window between Thanksgiving and the New Year when I tend to put on a little extra weight, but then it needs to go fast. The fact that it stays hot all of the time also discourages the consumption of big, caloric, comforting meals.
6. The rain is relatively predictable. On occasion it gets difficult to pinpoint, but for most of the year it is guaranteed to rain each day, between two and six, for about thirty minutes.
7. I never have to hide indoors. This is not true for all Floridians, but I love spending my time outside, and I am rarely ever chased inside by the cold.
8. The humidity. It can be very annoying, but I never have to worry about dry skin. I am in trouble every time that I travel north however.
9. I am rarely tempted to buy shoes. Other than flip flops, shoes really don’t get worn a lot around here, so all I have to do is think of all the shoes sitting in my closet and the urge to purchase new ones disappears.
10. The foliage is beautiful and bright. There are always beautiful colorful plants growing everywhere. Sometimes, I notice the landscaping around me and remember how happy I am to live here.
11. There is water everywhere. Ocean on both sides of me and ponds, and lakes, and streams all around.
12. The birds. I love birds and bird watching and there are big gorgeous birds all over the place here.
13. The thunderstorms. My dog is not a fan, but I love a good thunderstorm, as long as it is nice and leaves the pool screen alone.
14. The owls and the tree frogs. They sing for me while I sit outside and read at night.
15. The heat keeps vermin at bay. I have yet to find any evidence of a mouse having been in our attic. I think that the heat would incinerate the little critters up there.
16. The cleansing. The constant rainfalls keep the streets and sidewalks pretty clean, we have to power wash the mold off on occasion, but still.
17. Screening. We have so many bugs that most homes have a screened outdoor area. I love being outside without having to worry about getting eaten up.
18. The lizards. They are absolutely everywhere, and they are cute. I especially love how they gobble all of the bugs up.
19. Trick-or-treating. My kids usually come home sweating and they can wear any costume that they want. I remember living in Northern Michigan, where everyone tried to figure out how to costume their kid in a snow jacket.
20. The roads. We don’t get snow or ice and that means I don’t sit around having horrible visions of my friends and family sliding around on bad roads.