Skip to main content

Three Keys to Teaching Kids Safety


Three Keys to Teaching Kids Safety

I catch myself feeling sorry for my kids because they are missing out on a lot of the experiences that I got to have as a child. When I was a kid, I had a lot more freedom than my kids do. By age eight I was roaming the neighborhood. We played out in the woods all day as a gang of kids and then came home for dinner. When we came back out after dark the only rule was that we had to stay in the three neighboring yards. We rode our bikes by ourselves to the grocery store down the street. Today, it isn’t safe for my kids to do that at their age.

I have been teaching my kids about common sense safety since they were old enough to speak. I believe that there are three keys to making my kids safer kids:

1.     Teaching them to be observant.
2.     Teaching them to be confident.
3.     Reviewing safety techniques daily.

Being observant is a huge key that we tend to miss these days. I see kids and adults in public all of the time that are completely distracted, and therefore completely venerable. My children are not allowed to be in public with MP3 players or handheld video games. In public, we are not safe, unless we can see and hear what is going on around us. I teach my children to focus on their environment and to notice when something seems out of place. I set an example for them when I run by myself in our neighborhood. I have no ear buds in my ears, and I carry mace in my hand.

Confidence is also something that we often forget is important to keeping our children safe. Unfortunately, predators out there know how to shop for victims. As parents, we can use this knowledge to our advantage by teaching our children to never ever fit that profile. My kids know that if an adult that they do not know approaches them they should scream KIDNAPPER at the top of their lungs. More importantly, they know that if that adult turns out to not be a kidnapper that there is no harm, no foul. They know that they will never get in trouble for making that sort of mistake because their safety is way more important too me than my own embarrassment. I teach my kids to stand up straight, to look people in the eye, and to speak to them clearly and directly. Confident kids are far less likely to be preyed upon. I teach my children to be as loud as possible when it comes to strangers.

There are gobs of simple safety techniques that can be taught to kids that are very young in age. The important thing about teaching them these techniques is to go over them often. Growing children can forget things in a few months, so the key is to review safety over and over. I teach my kids where to hit an adult and how important it is to fight back, scream, and always defend themselves. I remind them constantly that safety is found in numbers. We also spar with our kids on occasion so that they feel confident in how to do this. I think that any martial art can have a positive impact on a child’s sense of confidence when it comes to self-defense. I always fall back to our time spent in the car together to remember that I have a captive audience, and that it is a great time to review techniques that can help to keep us safe. I find comfort knowing that with repetition, I can provide my children the tools that they might need in case a dangerous situation should ever arise.





 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…