Skip to main content

The Happiness Smasher


The Happiness Smasher

Everyone has this sort of person in their life somewhere. It goes beyond just pessimism. I researched it for a bit, but I could not find a name for the psychological condition that urges an individual to be adverse or raise an argument with absolutely every single thing that they hear. I would not be surprised if there were a name for the behavior however, because not only do I have one of these people in my life, I actually have a few. The best way that I could come up with to describe this sort of personality is by calling this person The Happiness Smasher.

This guy can make me absolutely nuts if I let him. He is the guy who never fails to jump in and throw around depressing factoids, when he notices that you have gotten excited about something. He is always ready to feed you large spoons full of negativity when you take the risk to share your own happiness with the people around you. This guy is usually super intelligent. When I was thinking about his personality, at first I thought that he must have a great need to show off his vast intelligence. For some reason he must be insecure about how smart he is, right? That can’t be it though, because no one is questioning how smart he is, it is obvious. So then why, even when he is agreeing with me, does he feel the need to peacock his intelligence by bringing up more information on the subject that I had failed to mention?

When I focused and really put my thinking cap on my answer to the motivation for my grumpy friend’s behavior was actually rather heart breaking. At the root of it, it isn’t anything intellectual that is causing this individual to be adverse. What is bothering The Happiness Smasher is the positivity and enthusiasm that I am projecting. It bothers him, and it obviously bothers him a lot if he would go to such lengths to squelch my happy excitement at every opportunity. So why is he bothered by other people being energetic and inspired? It must be fear, what is he so afraid of? What bothers us in other people is when we see a reflection of ourselves. So how is my positivity hurting this negative individual, when have I ever seen him acting happy or enthusiastic? I haven’t, but he must have been that way at some point. He must have been that way as a child. Most likely, when he acted that way as a child, there was an unfortunate adult standing at attention, ready to smash his dreams.

He is trying to rescue me from the big bad reality of life, just like his ignorant parent rescued him from big hopes and dreams and ideas as a child. If we are reprimanded over and over again as children for believing in huge wonderful possibilities, we stop believing in them. So my friend, The Dream Smasher, is doing the same thing to me that was done to him as a child. He doesn’t know any better, and he doesn’t have any idea how annoying his behavior is. He is unconsciously trying to prevent me from the disappointment that he believes I am guaranteed to suffer. Now, in my case, I happen to be very close to one of my dream smashers, so I know his background, and his parents, and it is easy for me to understand what happened to him. It does, indeed break my heart. I am glad however, to have a better understanding of where he is coming from. I will use his experience to remind me to never do to my kids what was done to him. I will remember to be compassionate rather than annoyed when he tries to stomp on my determined optimism, and maybe someday I will figure out how to help him rebuild his own smashed dreams.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…