Skip to main content

Ten Signs That You Are A Grown-Up


Ten Signs That You Are A Grown-Up

This was a Facebook post that I wrote today:

Do you ever stop and think: "Why am I behaving like such a grown-up? Isn't somebody else still taking care of all of this crap?"

It happens to us gradually, and there is no telling when all of the cogs are going to fit into place. Completely regardless of age, relationship status, job status, or whether or not we have children. Here are some of the components that go into being an actual grown-up:

1.     We admit our mistakes. If you ever watch the news, you know that there are a lot of politicians of embarrassing age, who have yet to grow up. Maybe that is one of the biggest problems in our country right now; the people who are leading us are immature children. How childish is it to try and pass blame off to the next guy. I actually take pride in my ability to admit my mistakes to others.
2.     We do things that we don’t want to do without complaining about it. Ideally, our adult lives are about working into a place where we don’t have to do many things that we don’t want to do, but still. Along the way, we must learn to roll up our sleeves and get the job done. For our benefit, and for that of the people who depend on us.
3.     We apologize. Whole-heartedly, and honestly, and without our moms dragging us by our shirt collars. A mature person understands what it feels like to be hurt by someone. We are going to hurt people in the course of our lives. It is inevitable. Adults understand how important it is to convey our regret when we hurt another person. It doesn’t erase the hurt, but it eases it.
4.     We take care of ourselves. Whether through, diet and exercise, or spiritual enlightenment, grown-ups realize that we are not immortal. We know that it is important to take care of these bodies that allow us to move through the world, and that the less we take care of them, the more likely that we will be very uncomfortable down the road.
5.     We seek to give back. Grown-ups recognize that we want to leave something good behind in the wake of our lives. Truly mature individuals do desire to leave the world, if ever so slightly, a better place than it was when we entered it.
6.     We take action. At some point the true adult comes to the realization that they are finally a part of the group that is supposed to fix everything. In youth we put it off as long as possible, believing that inciting true change is someone else’s responsibility. Then one day we wake up and realize that the burden is now upon our shoulders. At that point, we have to decide whether we are going to do something about it or not.
7.     We have respect and we show it. As we grow older we develop more of an appreciation for how much work has been put into creating the environment that we exist within. We also cultivate a deeper sense of understanding that as much work as we have done to come this far in our lives; every other person that we share space with has as well. Adults have learned an appreciation for the people and the things that surround them, and we treat them with more care than children do.
8.     We are grateful. I do not believe that many grown-ups go through a single day without thanking the gods many times for what we have in our lives. Simply to look at the face of a child or a loved one gives an adult a reason to be grateful.
9.     We get back up. Every adult has learned that life usually does not go as planned, and those of us who are really wise have learned that sometimes, those unexpected detours turn out to be really wonderful things. We know that as long as we keep trying we will eventually get to exactly where we need to be.
10. We Love, (the verb). Grown-ups understand that everything wonderful in life requires care and attention. Adults understand that love is not just some magical thing that happens to us. It is a beautiful joy that we must nurture and cultivate in our lives. We have figured out that the more active loving we do on a daily basis; the more love comes back to find us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…