Skip to main content

Bringing Abuse out of the Closet


Bringing Abuse out of the Closet

It is still in there because of the word honor. I was listening to some friends talk about the concept of honor the other night and it got me thinking. Most of us still come from families where our parents and grandparents expect us to contribute to the task of guarding the family’s honor. We aren’t supposed to do anything to hurt the family name, or to disgrace our elders. When I thought about it for a minute I figured out how truly sick that concept is, and yet most of us accept it without question, because that is how it has been since the day that we were born.

We sacrifice ourselves to this so-called myth of family honor. Behind this guise, we hide ugly divorces, alcoholism and drug abuse, bastard children, our relatives who happen to love within the same gender, and yes; abuse...lots and lots of abuse. For the sake of this utopic idea of a perfect family with the perfect reputation, we often pretend to be individuals that we are not, hide our own sexuality, take on careers that we do not like, and sometimes even marry people that we do not love. Even worse, for the sake of the family name, we hide abuse, and hiding abuse it the number one thing that keeps abuse going; generation, after generation, after generation. I say the hell with the family name. I don’t give a crap about any stupid reputation, when defaming that reputation could mean a healthier life for myself and for my children.

“I have abuse in my family.” I think that most of us all have it somewhere; families are pretty large after all. I think that we would make leaps and bounds in ending the cycle of abuse in our culture if we could all just say the words out loud. It is not easy, it isn’t easy to write them either. Take a deep breath and try it. “I have abuse in my family.” We are so trained that it is absolutely taboo to say the words, it becomes physically difficult to get them out, or so I find. Hiding things does not ever do anyone any good. I believe this strongly. We make up justifiable reasons to keep horrible secrets quiet, like keeping peace between relatives, or not giving grandma a heart attack, but there is honestly no true justification for not getting it out in the open. I actually listened to a radio personality about a year ago, advising a caller not to tell her cousin that her daughter has been raped by her cousin’s son. The boy was around fifteen, and the girl around thirteen. I was livid that someone would give such terrible advice. If young sex offenders do not get serious treatment very early, they become adult sex offenders. Adult sex offenders are nearly, if not impossible to reform.

Abuse comes in many shapes and sizes. Sometimes it is visible and sometimes it is not. If you are observant however, you can always see the results of it throughout the generations. That is where I see it in my family, and if I look closely it is very clear and very sad. It is everywhere and no family is exempt. Little boys are abused just as often as little girls, and if the abuse is sexual the psychological damage can be much worse because help and empathy are so hard to find. I have a friend who was sexually abused by her father throughout her childhood. He was a pastor. Abuse can be found anywhere. Even the effects of emotional abuse are often underestimated in their severity. I know adults who have suffered such extreme emotional abuse at the hands of their parents, they would probably tell you that they would have rather been hit as children than struggle through the venom that their parents rained down on them day after day.

I believe that as a society we are getting better and better all of the time. We are finally living in a generation where people are starting to talk about abuse. We need to keep the ball rolling. Abuse is a dark ugly beast that exists best in closeted darkness. All that we truly need to do to eradicate it completely is to drag it out into the sunlight and watch it die.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…