Skip to main content

Twenty Ways…that I am like my grandmother.


Twenty Ways…that I am like my grandmother.

It has been a few months now since she has passed, and it still feels so strange. In my family, and I am guessing it is the case in many others as well; alikeness seems to skip a generation. My mother was very much like her grandmother and was heartbroken when she passed away. I am very blessed to have had my grandmother with me well into my thirties. Here are a few of the qualities that she passed onto me.

1.     Thriftiness. I don’t like to pay full price for anything. I am always thrilled to find a deal. This can be dangerous. I need to avoid buying things that I don’t really want or need just because they are going at a ridiculous discount. My grandmother had closets full of clothes that she never wore.
2.     Skepticism. Much like my grandmother, I am skeptical of everything that I am told. I want to know whom the information is coming from, and in what way it is being used to manipulate me.
3.     Green. It was her favorite color and it is mine as well. She was far superior at gardening however.
4.     Feminism. She found it a chore to dress up and play like a lady. She would always rather be with the boys, playing rough. She believed could do anything that a man could do, an probably do it better.
5.     Jerry rigging. I learned how to tape and glue and tinker almost anything into an extended life from her.
6.     Driving. She prided herself on her driving skills. She still had her license and was driving right up until she went into the hospital for the last time.
7.     Poetry. We share a love for the undervalued art.
8.     Ice cream. I am pretty sure that it was her very favorite food. I would rather have ice cream than cake or pie or any other dessert.
9.     Grocery shopping. She got excited about going to the grocery store. I do the same thing. I don’t think of it as a chore, I guess that it is a sort of gratefulness for being able to bring home food and stock the refrigerator.
10. Waste. She hated throwing anything away. I fight my compulsion to save things. It is especially hard for me with food. I remember being a kid and having to okay things from the fridge with her before I ate them. If they were old she worried about me getting sick, but she would still eat them herself.
11. Practicality. My grandmother did not like to make a lot of fuss over anything. She was always completely confused by what lengths my mother would go to decorating for the holidays. The older I get, the more I find myself wanting to do less.
12. Stubbornness. The woman was seriously stubborn. For the last ten years of her life she could barely hear a word that anyone said, but she refused to get a hearing aid.
13. Bluntness. She said what she meant and she didn’t mince words. She didn’t lie to make people feel better about things either.
14. Ritual. My grandma loved ritual. She did so many things over and over, the same way each day. I find the same peace that she did in routine.
15. Comfort. She appreciated being comfortable a great deal. She was always looking for a new pair of comfortable pajamas.
16. Confidence. She had a lot of faith in herself and her abilities. She never had a problem standing up for herself or speaking her mind.
17. Curiosity. She was forever curious about how things worked. I remember her messing with snakes that she found in the yard to see what they would do.
18. Loyalty. My grandmother was a very loyal person. She was always there for her friends when they needed her.
19. Focus. I really have to work hard to keep myself from taking on her poor focus. I remember times when she was so uncollected that it would take her a good two hours just to leave the house.
20. Water. I always remember her talking about the water and swimming when she was a camp counselor. It is a shame that she lived most of her life in a place where she never had an opportunity to swim. I saw a picture of her in a swimsuit when she was younger with her friends. She was a total knock out. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…