Skip to main content

Twenty Things…I am admittedly terrible at.


Twenty Things…I am admittedly terrible at.

For me this is an exercise in reinforcing why it is so important to live interdependently. I am lucky enough to have people in my life who excel at the things that I am not particularly good at. The nice part is that I have come to a point where my lack of talent in these areas doesn’t really bother me.

1.     Playing ball. I don’t know if it stems from my dyslexia or from something else entirely, but I have no success at making contact with moving targets. I am also fearful of balls when they are moving in my direction.
2.     Dusting. I think that it is primarily because I dislike the activity so much. I leave a wake of dust behind every time that I attempt the task, no matter what type of magic duster I use.
3.     Telling a lie. Even in situations where it warrants telling a white lie to spare someone’s feelings, it is almost impossible for me to do. The game of poker boggles my mind.
4.     Remembering names. I have gotten better over the years, but I am still not at the top of the class. I will literally forget a name two minutes after I am introduced to someone.
5.     Reading music. My choir leader actually recommended that I leave the chorus in my sophomore year. She said that even though I could sing, my lack of understanding of written music would make me unsuccessful in the end.
6.     Following directions. This one can be a toss up. Yes, It causes problems for me sometimes, but I believe that just as often it helps me to discover new things that I might not have, if I followed the step by step.
7.     Consoling people. I am a great listener, and a pretty good advice giver, but when someone is deeply upset and crying, I am not so good at handling it. I get into that uncomfortable back patting place when someone is having a crisis, I just don’t know what to do.
8.     Putting up with bad drivers. Honestly, in most situations I can let almost anything roll off of my back, because I know that it is not worth my energy to worry about it. When someone disregards the safety or life of my kids because they are in a hurry or they don’t care, I get mad. I yell at them in my car where they cannot hear me. Not excessively, or red faced, or big hand gestures…but it bothers my husband when he is in the car with me.
9.     Making eggs. I make beautiful scrambled eggs, quiche, omelets, however I cannot seem to pull off an over easy egg. Ironically, this is how my husband and all three kids actually like their eggs.
10. Yard maintenance. This is probably because I am allergic to the yard. We have a good system set up where my husband is in charge of all that grows around the house.
11. Grooming the dog. I have never accidentally nicked her with scissors, or over trimmed a nail, or made her bleed. She is still terrified for some ridiculous reason however, and by the end she thinks that I have abused her and won’t come near me for two days.
12. Talking on the phone. I have mentioned this before. I can barely hear people over the phone even though my hearing is fine. I like texting.
13. Playing. I can get through a board game just fine, but ask me to play tea party or Barbies…please no!
14. Getting someplace new. I have a really hard time finding places that I have never been to before. I always try to leave myself a good extra half hour or so…
15. Painting. I mean painting large things; I never really got into painting pictures. Painting involves a lot of patience. I always forget to go slowly, and pretty soon there is paint all over the place.
16. Keeping it together. I cannot hold back tears. It got a lot worse after I had children. I literally cry at commercials. I cry at the shows at Disney because I am so thrilled that my kids get to experience them. I am a sap.
17. Posing for pictures. It seems like all of my female friends are really good at smiling nicely and stretching out their necks and doing whatever it takes to get a good picture…me not so much.
18. Getting up early. I am a night owl. I do not like to get up early, and if I have an early appointment that I need to get up for, I get so nervous about I can’t get any sleep the night before.
19. Doing my nails. I have relatively un-steady hands. It takes me eons to paint my nails and the polish ends up everywhere. I can’t stand looking at my hands if a nail gets even one chip, so I have given up. I rarely ever try to paint them.
20. Getting out of the house. I do have children so they obviously complicate things, but I still invariably forget something and have to come back inside for it. Sometimes several times.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…