Skip to main content

Twenty Christmas Presents…I can actually remember.


Twenty Christmas Presents…I can actually remember.

It’s the memories that are important and not the gifts right? So I am going to see if I can remember twenty from my childhood…here goes:

1.     Strawberry lamb. I mentioned this one in another story, but it is a strong memory from when I was four or five. My Aunt’s cameraman gave the stuffed animal to me, and I had never met him before. Surprised the heck out of me because she came in a box that was bigger than I was.
2.     My pink bike with training wheels. I received it when I was five or so, and didn’t learn to ride it without the training wheels until I was ten. I was stubborn, and the ongoing saga really frustrated my dad.
3.     Piano keyboard. Ten or eleven or so, this was a popular gift. The recorded demo on mine was a musical version of “Wake Me Up Before You Go Go”.
4.      The original Nintendo. I begged for this one, and my mother hid it until after I had opened all of my other gifts, almost causing me to panic.
5.     Top Gun. I received it the same year, the video game to go with the Nintendo, and I had no idea why my parents got it for me. It was actually my dad who had gotten it for my grandfather who loved to fly. He and my dad spent most of that Christmas day playing the game.
6.     Amarige by Givenchy. My first real perfume that my host parents bought me for Christmas, the year that I was living in France.
7.     Ice skates. We had a pavilion where we could skate at the hotel near our house in Michigan. I don’t ever remember using the skates more than once or twice.
8.     Speak and Math. I cannot remember how old I was when I got the thing, but I played with it all of the time.
9.      The Simon and Garfunkel Ultimate Collection. I still may have one or two of the CD’s. I listened to these songs over and over again as a teenager.
10. Mousercise. There were three albums in the group. Silly songs, I can still remember a lot of them today.
11. Fantasia. I remember that my parents bought me the VHS movie the same year that my dad got us a shiny new Sony television. The picture was the most beautiful that I had ever seen. Especially the fish!
12. My pink skateboard. I wanted it because my friend next door was a boy and he had one. I never really learned to use it well, mostly played around with it in the driveway.
13. Pound Puppies. My grandpa collected a bunch of miniature ones for me that they were selling at some fast food restaurant over the holidays one year. I LOVED them.
14. My Little Pony Dream Castle. My mother kept it from when I was a kid and still has it at her house for my kids to play with. We have all of my old ponies here for them at our house. The kids were playing with them yesterday.
15. I Googled, but I can’t find it’s name. It was a long stick with rainbow keys from the seventies, which made delightfully annoying sounds. I loved the toy and it drove my dad crazy!
16. Jogging suits. This was the eighties, and everyone was wearing them. I begged my mother and I think that I got two of them for Christmas one year. They were horrible! Neon colors and they wade an obnoxious swishing sound when I walked.
17. My Lego airport. After we had it built, my friend next door and I spent hours and hours playing with it.
18. Christy. I think that was her name. My mom got me the Madam Alexander baby doll one year when she worked in a toy store that sold them. I promptly destroyed the very nice baby doll by painting her eyelids with nail polish.
19. My boom box. I think that I called it that, even though it was small and feminine and pink and purple. I spent a lot of time listening to my California Raisins cassette on it.
20. My swatch watch. I think that my aunt bought it for me one year and I was so excited. Then two months later it randomly disappeared. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…