Skip to main content

Twelve Years


Twelve Years

My husband and I actually have two anniversaries. One is on December twenty-third: the day that we had a ceremony and celebration with our close friends and family. We had the party at my mother’s house, and spent about one hundred dollars total on the wedding. Our second anniversary is on the twenty-seventh: the day that we appeared before the justice of the peace at the courthouse in Cumming Georgia. On the way to pick up our wedding license, we got the call confirming that we were going to be foster parents. It feels like life has been a whirlwind ever since then, and it has been a good one.

I will not say that everything over the past twelve years has been idyllic, but from our point of view it has still been wonderful. We have lost grandparents, and had young relatives suffer terrible injury and disease on both sides of our families. We have gone through personal crisis, and grown by leaps and bounds, and through the whole thing neither of us deserted the other. If I can think of one rule for making a marriage work, it is to stick together. My husband got up with me every two hours that the twins woke up for the first six months of their life. And I have stressed through every rough patch in his career right along with him.

We have learned each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Instead of giving one another a hard time because of them (aside from doing it in jest), we pick up the slack together. We succeed well as a team, and we try not to pick at one another’s faults, unless it is in a constructive attempt. It is not always easy. One thing I know for sure that I do not do, and I am pretty certain that he does not either, is to sit with my friends and complain about him. If my husband does something that bothers me I talk to him about it rather than going on about him behind his back, because I know that it never does any good. People say that it’s venting…but that doesn’t mean that it is productive or healthy in any way, and I see a lot of couples do it.

Sometimes, especially in the times that aren’t easy, the most important thing for married couples to remember is that we have the exact same goals, no matter if we see their execution being played out differently.  We both want to be financially secure and successful, without stepping on anyone else as we work towards that goal. We want to set a good example for our kids. We want to teach them how to be good and kind people, who contribute to society rather than taking advantage of it. We want for our whole family to be as happy and healthy and well balanced as possible. As long as we can always keep in mind that our goals are the same, then we can always find a way to work through any disagreements that we may have along the way. It sounds easy, and it’s not. A marriage is just like anything else that is worth having. It is worth working for. I think that both my husband and I got into this thing knowing that we were willing to work for it…and I think that’s why it works.  


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…