Skip to main content

Spit It Out!


Spit It Out!

I have been noticing pharmaceutical adds on television lately that are taking an even newer, more frightening turn. I have seen two different commercials that use the consumer’s own guilt as motivation to start taking a new drug. One of them is for an asthma drug and the other is for an antidepressant. In the commercial for the anti-depressant multiple family members of the supposed person suffering from depression are shown, complaining about how sad they are because their loved one isn’t interested in spending any time with them. The asthma drug add goes basically the same way insisting how stubborn the asthma sufferer is about not taking drugs and how they can’t really see how their asthma is affecting their own life and the lives of those around them.

This basically makes me sick, because the way that I see it, we now have big business bullying people into taking more drugs, that in my opinion, they probably don’t really need. I had a great, great, aunt who was very ill for a score of years before she finally died. At one point, she went into surgery because of a blockage in her stomach. What the doctors found when they cut her open was a large ball that had formed out of all of the gobs of pills that they had overprescribed. We ignore the fact that almost every one of our doctors and dentists gets a free lunch every day of the week, paid for by the pharmaceutical reps. We laugh lightly about the fact that every pharm rep out there looks like a runway model. And now we don’t even notice that these companies are basically bullying vulnerable humans with chronic diseases on national television. Really?

I come from genes of the seriously stubborn kind. I understand up close and personal that sometimes people don’t take a medicine that could help them. I think that what is happening far more often, is that people are taking drugs supposedly designed to help them that are ultimately contributing to their sickness rather than making them healthy. The lists of side effects on the majority of drugs is simply staggering. What little the average citizen, and even more surprisingly the average doctor, knows about nutrition is absolutely pathetic. I think that we would do ourselves a lot of good as a society if we took back our rights to our own health. It can be hard to step up and take back that responsibility. I have, because to me, my wellness is worth more than what some nameless company can make by selling me pills. I will not want to be their victim or their slave.

Medicine is amazing. The discoveries that we have made in medicine in just the past century are mind-boggling. I am blown away by the miracles that can be preformed in surgeries. Even certain pharmaceuticals have contributed to saving the lives of my loved ones; I would never discount that fact. I do know that the best thing that I can do for my kids is to teach them to take responsibility for their own health. Physically and mentally, they will be more empowered if they know that they own every right to their body. I am teaching them how to eat things that help to keep them strong and well. I am teaching them how to research on their own, so that when a doctor tells them they should take something someday, they can figure out for themselves whether or not it is the right choice for them to follow his advice. When we find ourselves in a system where people see a drug on television and then go and tell their doctors that they want that drug, we find ourselves in a backward system. When the same companies that are pushing their drugs during the nightly news are sending your family doctor on a cruise to the Caribbean, well, it’s obvious that something needs to change. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…