Skip to main content

Really…Just Do It


Really…Just Do It

We have all heard it so often as an add slogan that we hardly pay any attention to it anymore. The slogan is brilliant of course, and so is the concept. When you really get down to it, the absolute hardest thing in the world to do is to get started. Once we get going with almost anything it becomes habit, we become accustomed to going through the motions and things flow. Its proven in physics, but we seem to forget to apply it to our everyday lives. It’s like getting in the pool each day for me, in the winter. I was talking to a friend who swims year round as well, and she told me about standing in front of the cold water and giving herself a pep talk before taking the plunge each day. “I’ll be warm after two laps…only two laps.”

I always tell people that the number one thing that I got out of public school was a remarkable ability to procrastinate. Aside from a handful of inspiring teachers who I can’t disregard, I educated myself by reading books. Procrastination however, I was brilliantly educated in, and it is possible that I have spent the last twenty years re-training myself. Sometimes, I look around and remember that I am managing to turn out some pretty remarkable work, while in the midst of three chaotic home-schooled children. Then there is the dog, and the housework, and my husband asking me to help him find things. Some days it is a miracle that I can get a cohesive sentence put down. That’s how I do it though, I just plow ahead like a bull in a china shop, and I get it done.

It’s like creating habits, and how the experts say that it takes around two weeks to develop one. After that point we become accustomed to the behavior, and repeating it becomes easier. I know it may sound a little careless when I say that I dive into things with such reckless abandon, but well, it works. If I sat around waiting for the perfect idea to come into my mind before I wrote it down, I would be sitting and waiting forever. I rely heavily on my muses, and as long as my mind is open and ready for them, the words just flow right through me and out of my fingertips. If I waited for the perfect time to do anything; like baking cookies with the kids, or going out to run errands. I would never ever get anything done.

I do plan…I mean I try. I merely can’t recall a single time that I have gotten out of the house seamlessly, or a moment of perfect family bliss where someone didn’t get their feelings hurt, or injure themselves, or break something. Jumping in and dealing with the chaos an incident at a time has evolved into a way of survival around our house. And to my delight, we get a lot done around here. We get a lot of good stuff done, quality moments that would never happen if we didn’t just dive in and go. When it’s hard, because it’s always difficult sometimes, I remind myself why I am doing it, and I find the inspiration that I need. Or failing that, I can try to picture the happiness that will be created as a result of my efforts. I can imagine the beautiful angelic smiles on my children’s faces on Christmas morning after I put all of the work into wrapping beautiful packages…well, before one of them tramples another en route to open those packages. Creating that voice in the back of my mind has been a powerful tool for me. Go…just do it…just get it done. It works.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…