20 Ways…To remind ourselves that the universe is watching over us.
We get discouraged sometimes. The world starts to feel like a giant place, and we feel like tiny beings that are all alone. We forget that there is an ultimate energy that is always looking out for us. Here are a few ideas to help us remember that fact.
1. Go somewhere new, and find your way without using GPS. I am not saying to get completely lost, but to spend some time looking around and having an experience on your way, rather than following a plan.
2. Tell someone how you really feel about them and see what happens.
3. Float. Spend some time floating on the water and try to identify the hands that are helping to keep you afloat.
4. Taste something new. Or try a food that you have always disliked prepared in a different way, and keep an open mind.
5. Sing a song, in front of a crowd, in a karaoke bar.
6. Start walking, and let your feet carry you wherever they want to go. (Take along cab fare.)
7. Trust a friend with information that is personal to you, and that you find hard to share.
8. Go skydiving, or whitewater rafting, or mountain climbing…safely.
9. Meditate. There are lots of different was to do it, and they do not all involve sitting still. Listen to what you hear.
10. Write a poem, or rather, let it write itself.
11. Spend some time with a toddler. They have astounding little perspectives on the world.
12. Listen to an opera. Attend one if possible, if not, sit and actively listen to the music.
13. Cook something without a recipe. It may not look perfect, but it will probably still taste delicious, and if you go into it with a good attitude, it will be fun.
14. Go to a theme park, or a fair and ride the roller coasters.
15. Communicate with someone who doesn’t speak the same language. It is amazing how much we communicate through hand gestures and facial expressions.
16. Sing, or dance, or pray in public. My kids and I like to sing and dance in the grocery store.
17. Give a stranger a gift. It has become popular to pay for someone else’s lunch or coffee…I bet there are more creative ideas out there as well.
18. Go out to eat dinner or to a movie by yourself. If you go out to eat, don’t take a book and don’t stay glued to your I-phone. Just observe.
19. Take up photography. Recognize the power of the beauty that can be captured in images.
20. Give hugs. Hug people that you are meeting for the very first time. Hug people hello and hug them goodbye. It is good for you.