Skip to main content

20 Simple Ways…to be nice to yourself.


20 Simple Ways…to be nice to yourself.

1.     Call up an old friend that you haven’t spoken to in a long time and catch up with them.
2.     Plan a vacation. Even if you have no idea when you are going to be able to get away or how you are going to afford it, plan it anyway. Write down the details. Collect brochures if you feel like it.
3.     Take a class. Go take a class that teaches you something you have never learned before. Foreign language lessons are a blast. I am dying to try the yoga that they do on long boards in the water.
4.     Get some exercise. Going for a nice long walk is an incredibly healing activity. I always feel really good afterward.
5.     Look at some old pictures. Spend some time remembering some of the places and faces that you may have forgotten.
6.     Clean your house. Get rid of things that you don’t use or straighten something that doesn’t often get cleaned. You will feel wonderful afterward.
7.     Bake yourself cookies. We are gluten free, and we still bake cookies often. There is nothing better than the smell of fresh baked cookies in the house.
8.     Do something creative. Arrange some flowers in a vase, draw a picture, rearrange the furniture, work in the garden, or write a poem. It is surprising how much creativity rejuvenates the soul.
9.     Meditate. I am not too skilled at doing this while sitting still, but I can do it while I am swimming laps or doing Thai Chi. I think that everyone can find something that works to help them clear their own mind.
10. Help others. Volunteering locally can make you feel amazing, and I highly recommend it. It only takes five minutes to go online and donate a few dollars to a good cause these days as well.
11. Sing in the shower. Or in your living room. Don’t worry about how you sound. Sing at the top of your lungs.
12. Stretch. I never fail to feel better after five or ten minutes of stretching…or more.
13. Do something that you have never done before. I am a creature of habit and ritual. I find comfort in repeating behaviors. Changing my routine always gives me a new perspective.
14. Listen to music, and make it happy music. Music feeds the soul.
15. Go swimming. Water has the wonderful ability to make you feel light and graceful. A swim can take a huge weight off of your shoulders. If you are lucky enough to live near the beach, head for the salt water.
16. Read a novel. Escape from your world into an entirely different one. See things from a fictional character’s perspective.
17. Plan a surprise. Surprise someone else and brighten their day. Show up to see someone at work or mail someone a special surprise.
18. Pet something fuzzy. Dog, or cat, or bunny. If you don’t have a pet then head for the dog park. Most dog owners love it when their pets attract attention from strangers.
19. Take the day off. Don’t just take the day off from work, but take it off from pushing yourself. Give yourself a break until tomorrow.
20. Pray. Get in touch with that spirit that is larger than you are. Talk to it and listen closely to discover what you might hear.


Comments

  1. I happened on your blog today and found it encouraging...today's by birthday, so an especially nice gift. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you enjoyed it Sandra. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…