20 Simple Ways…to be nice to yourself.
1. Call up an old friend that you haven’t spoken to in a long time and catch up with them.
2. Plan a vacation. Even if you have no idea when you are going to be able to get away or how you are going to afford it, plan it anyway. Write down the details. Collect brochures if you feel like it.
3. Take a class. Go take a class that teaches you something you have never learned before. Foreign language lessons are a blast. I am dying to try the yoga that they do on long boards in the water.
4. Get some exercise. Going for a nice long walk is an incredibly healing activity. I always feel really good afterward.
5. Look at some old pictures. Spend some time remembering some of the places and faces that you may have forgotten.
6. Clean your house. Get rid of things that you don’t use or straighten something that doesn’t often get cleaned. You will feel wonderful afterward.
7. Bake yourself cookies. We are gluten free, and we still bake cookies often. There is nothing better than the smell of fresh baked cookies in the house.
8. Do something creative. Arrange some flowers in a vase, draw a picture, rearrange the furniture, work in the garden, or write a poem. It is surprising how much creativity rejuvenates the soul.
9. Meditate. I am not too skilled at doing this while sitting still, but I can do it while I am swimming laps or doing Thai Chi. I think that everyone can find something that works to help them clear their own mind.
10. Help others. Volunteering locally can make you feel amazing, and I highly recommend it. It only takes five minutes to go online and donate a few dollars to a good cause these days as well.
11. Sing in the shower. Or in your living room. Don’t worry about how you sound. Sing at the top of your lungs.
12. Stretch. I never fail to feel better after five or ten minutes of stretching…or more.
13. Do something that you have never done before. I am a creature of habit and ritual. I find comfort in repeating behaviors. Changing my routine always gives me a new perspective.
14. Listen to music, and make it happy music. Music feeds the soul.
15. Go swimming. Water has the wonderful ability to make you feel light and graceful. A swim can take a huge weight off of your shoulders. If you are lucky enough to live near the beach, head for the salt water.
16. Read a novel. Escape from your world into an entirely different one. See things from a fictional character’s perspective.
17. Plan a surprise. Surprise someone else and brighten their day. Show up to see someone at work or mail someone a special surprise.
18. Pet something fuzzy. Dog, or cat, or bunny. If you don’t have a pet then head for the dog park. Most dog owners love it when their pets attract attention from strangers.
19. Take the day off. Don’t just take the day off from work, but take it off from pushing yourself. Give yourself a break until tomorrow.
20. Pray. Get in touch with that spirit that is larger than you are. Talk to it and listen closely to discover what you might hear.