20 gifts… you can give to yourself this holiday.
1. A break. Stop beating yourself up about what you have not yet accomplished, and take some time to recognize what you have.
2. A reunion. Plan a trip to visit an old friend who you haven’t seen in a long time.
3. A friendship. Set a goal to make a new friend and stick to it.
4. Movement. The more the body moves the happier and healthier it feels. Set a new exercise routine, or try something different. You may find something that you love.
5. Forgiveness. Forgive someone who has hurt you in the past, and you will be surprised at how good it will make you feel.
6. A story. Allow yourself the time to get absorbed in a novel. Reading relieves stress and sparks creativity. Plan to fall in love with a new book, or twenty, or a hundred.
7. A new responsibility. Pledge to volunteer, or donate, or help someone else on a regular basis.
8. A voice. Find a place where your experience or advice are valued, and share what you know. Join a book club and share your opinion with other readers.
9. A new skill. Learn how to sew, or how to surf, or how to play piano.
10. A collection. Collections are great for bringing back memories of places and people. I recently decided to start collecting bookmarks from around the world.
11. Knowledge. It can be about any subject. I find history very interesting. A few years ago I took on the task of reading an enormous history on Chairman Mao. Though it was a very challenging read for me, I learned a lot, and I am proud to have finished it.
12. Freedom. Eliminate something from your life that you don’t want or need. It can be a person that only contributes negativity to your life, or a habit that you are not happy to have. Just let it go, and free yourself.
13. Time. Leave open spaces in your daily schedule when you do not have to do anything. I am at my most creative and happy at times when I do not feel rushed.
14. Space. Create more space in your environment by getting rid of things that you do not want or need. We all have stuff in our houses that we haven’t used in a long time. Do we really need it? I am much happier when I have more room to move around.
15. Love. Give yourself more love. Remember that the more love you give away the more returns to you.
16. Memories. Quality time builds memories, and this stuff can be set up. Honestly, plan more trips, events, meetings, or whatever with the people you most love to spend time with.
17. Rest. There is always another study coming out telling us how important sleep is. Let your body sleep, and make yourself healthier.
18. Peace. I find that I get a great deal of peace from things like quietly watching a fire, taking a walk, or taking time to stretch.
19. Community. Our nation is suffering because many of us have turned away from the people that we share our homes with. Make a good effort to get to know more of your neighbors. It makes communities safer and stronger places.
20. Fun. We so often forget how important it is to have fun. It’s not only vital for children but for adults too. Fun and laughter are essential to a happy life.