Skip to main content

Touch


Touch

We don’t sit and think about it very often but it is actually a hugely relevant part of our lives. I noticed the other morning, waking up in bed, that I mold myself around my husband’s body trying to make contact with every bit of his skin that I can. I’ve never heard it explained, exactly what we receive through skin-to-skin contact. There is heat, of course, but there is so much more. I know that they have saved the lives of struggling newborns by giving them another infant to cuddle with. I know that touch can alleviate depression, change sadness into happiness. It seems to be a strong need that we have as humans that we tend not to assign quite enough importance to.

I remember once when my close friend’s husband had been out of town for several months working, she got to the point where she gave really long sustained hugs. She would apologize for it, but she understood that with her husband being away for so long she was missing the human contact that she normally depended on him for. She was pretty smart to recognize what was going on. I don’t think that most people consider the possibility that a lack of touch could be a contributor when they are feeling a little down.

I cannot remember where or when, but I once heard a brilliant woman explaining that she paid to get her teenaged children weekly massages so that they wouldn’t be missing out on touch. If you really think about it teenagers are the largest group of people who probably don’t get a lot of  skin to skin contact on a regular basis, and this may be the reason that they are seeking it out through dating at a young age, even if they don’t realize it. They get to the age where they don’t want to hold hands with mom or dad a long time before it is appropriate or safe for them to be seeking out human contact from their peers. I’m not talking about friendly hugs; I’m talking about moving towards sexual situations at a very young age. I think that the woman who set up the massages for her kids had a pretty wonderful idea. I think that there are other ways that we can go about it though. I know that I would be stretching it to afford weekly massages for all three of my kids, but I can remember to be aware of the touch that they are lacking. I can force them into hugging their mother even when they don’t feel like it. I can set an example for them by hugging my friends when I greet them and hope that my children will model the behavior. I can offer to do the girls’ hair and encourage them to do each other’s. I suppose even participating in full contact sports could be a helpful thing for boys.

My husband and I are dealing with our oldest daughter making the transition into teenagerhood right now, and it is happening much earlier than we had expected. It is not easy; her moods are insanely erratic. I am grateful for any tool I can collect in helping me deal with her behavior. I may become an excessive hugger here sometime in the near future. I think that it is important that we pay close attention to our children’s happiness. I don’t mean I should be doing anything and everything that I can think of to put smiles on their faces; I just need to be aware of where they are at emotionally. If necessary, I may need to hug the crap out of them on a daily basis.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…