Skip to main content

Privacy and Quiet


Privacy and Quiet

They may actually be the two things that parents get the least of and want more than anything else. I remember as a teenager how I could never understand the fact that my mother always wanted to ride in the car in silence, and I always had to beg her to turn the radio on. She only had one kid! My dad was a really quiet person too, when he was in town, but my mom craved that silence and I just didn’t get it. I do now. I was in the car the other day without any children for once, and the radio was annoying me and I was changing stations, and then I actually remembered that I could just turn it off. God, it was wonderful.

I watch my husband trying to meditate on his bench outside sometimes, and the kids just run in and out and all around the house, screaming, fighting, complaining, questioning…he just keeps his eyes closed and sits there. The man is a trooper. When I get in my zone I can fight like crazy to ignore them. Just now my daughter came up behind me at the computer and petted me. Seriously, she walked up quietly and gave my hair a few strokes and walked away. Creepy, right? They know that it really ticks me off when I am writing and they come up and read over my shoulder, so now I guess that they have resorted to planning bizarre forms of harassment to distract me.

It never fails that every time I head for the bathroom, I have one of them trailing behind me because suddenly they need to desperately ask me a question. The other day my son asked me who the first black singer was. How do you even approach answering that question? Every time that my husband even touches me, every time that we are even being the slightest bit romantic, there are always little eyes there, as if on cue, staring us down. I can’t wait for the phase when mom and dad kissing gets gross…I seriously cannot wait. Even when they were babies, as soon as we got smoochy, there would be crying. My husband and I joke that they are determined to prevent the creation of any other siblings, like it’s a survival instinct or something. I have no idea how my third child managed to get herself conceived.

And I have absolutely no advice for any parents concerning quiet or privacy. I don’t think that there is any solution. Maybe knowing how many other brave souls suffer through the deprivation of these vital necessities will be helpful. I guess we should all remember to appreciate the silence or the privacy when we actually get them for a moment or two. At least I understand now why my mom was so weird about her peace and quiet. I suppose one of the reasons that we have kids is so that we can learn to appreciate those very things.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…