Skip to main content

Just Embrace the Insanity


Just Embrace the Insanity

I often forget that other people are normal, and it surprises me a little sometimes when I notice their reaction to the fact that I am not. I was in Costco the other day with my kids, goofing around in the checkout isle, taking pictures of them. The rather…um, straight-laced…cashier was very grumbly when it took me a couple of seconds to hand him my membership card. There was no one behind me in line. I noticed his extreme confusion when I giggled and apologized profusely for my mistake, and smiled broadly. He kept sending strange glances in my direction as I chatted with the woman who was putting the groceries in the cart, and answering my children’s six thousand questions. I had to stop and remind myself that the poor man just didn’t understand how or why I could be so positive and kind to him when it was clear that he disliked me. I just have to laugh at it again though, because the idea that people are confused by my happiness is hilarious to me.

I arrived at the kid’s 4H robotics meeting the other day, and there was no meeting. We had been out of town, and I couldn’t find our schedule and I knew that it was the right week that there should be a meeting, but I didn’t double check. We arrived at the house and no one was there. It is a forty-minute drive, and it was too bad that we made it for no reason, but it wasn’t really that big of a deal. The kids and I had a decent chat in the car, and we had a little more time that we had expected to run some errands. This is how I have programmed myself; I try to look on the bright side. Honestly, when does anything go perfectly, ever? Life just doesn’t work that way. I try to anticipate all of the irritations that I will face each day, and then I rejoice in every little thing that goes right. It works for me, and so what if it is crazy? Insanity is actually a good thing. Sanity seems to be a quality that forces the brain to structure everything. In my life; with three kids, a husband, a dog, my writing, my kids education, friends, family, finances, and everything else…I think that insanity would be me trying to make it all run in an orderly fashion. Sanity, on the other hand, is letting it all go, riding the wave, and doing the best that I can to catch everything as it careens around.

I have this awesome memory of lying on the floor in my grandpa’s old office, on the terribly ugly pea green carpet with my husband. We were watching something on TV while the twins actually napped for a moment. I think that they were about three months old, and I hadn’t had more than two hours sleep in a row since they had been born. I started laughing at something on the television and I could not stop myself. I laughed and laughed…hard, so hard that I couldn’t catch my breath, or speak, and tears were pouring out of my eyes. My husband finally got really concerned and eventually he was able to get me to stop. It was simply all too much. I just lost it in that moment. Maybe that’s when I lost it for good, when I finally embraced the fact that I was a mother and my life was never, ever, going to be the way that it was before. How is it even possible to be a sane person when you have little people running around with your heart in their hands? That’s what sounds crazy to me. So I surrender. I give into the insanity. I embrace it, and it serves me well.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…