Skip to main content

Moderation


Moderation

I was sitting writing while my son was watching TV in the other room, and some boys on a show were talking about which would be worse; to drink a gallon of mayonnaise, or mustard. Now obviously, both are absolutely and equally disgusting. My automatic reaction however was mayonnaise…of course. I love mayonnaise, it is one of my favorite foods, and I put it in everything. I eat it on cold steak, and apples, and carrot sticks…to name a few. Could I consume a gallon of it? Absolutely no way…I would throw up after a few spoonfuls.

Moderation is something that I am naturally successful with. I suppose that the biggest addiction that I have ever struggled with is food, once I matured a bit and gained discipline however, it hasn’t been a problem. Probably, because I am so ridiculously stubborn…I don’t want for anything to have control over me. Because of that, I moderate constantly because I don’t want to desire anything enough, that I give it the power to take me over. I don’t know if this personality trait is a product of nature or environment; it is probably a mixture of both. Wow, am I ever grateful for it…it helps me out a lot in life.

I don’t know how I learned it, so I don’t know specifically how to pass it on to my children. Obviously they have the constant example of my ability to moderate, that is a great first step. I remind myself to repeat the mantras to them whenever I have the opportunity. I guess that I am actively seeking out good examples as well…we will have the conversation about the gallon of mayonnaise. The effects of moderation are so far reaching. There are few of us who live with intention to take only what we need in mind. We use far more electricity than necessary. We over-water our super green lawns. We keep the television on just for background noise. These are not good practices and they are causing problems.

We do have an energy crisis. The state of Florida, for one, is running out of water. More and more kids are being diagnosed with ADHD. All of these problems have simple solutions, and the answer is moderation. The statistics on how much we would help the environment if every American household eliminated two, just two, meals a week that contained beef are staggering. We won’t do it though. We know that our un-moderated beef consumption is bad for the planet, and bad for our bodies, but we just won’t do it…and I don’t understand why.

White clover is a great looking ground cover that needs mown only a few times a year, and consumes minute amounts of water. In the state of Florida, no neighborhood association has the right to tell anyone that they can’t replace their fast growing, invasive, water guzzling St. Augustine grass with white clover. It’s a law. I want to have lower water bills. I don’t want to pay a lawn service. I don’t like paying for fuel for my lawn mower, and I loathe the fact that all of the mowing happening in the US contributes more pollution to our air than our cars do…this is because there are no emissions standards for lawn mowers. I haven’t replaced my lawn…and I don’t have solar panels yet. They are both on the top of my list.

My husband has worked at some of the largest restaurants around the states. The amount of waste that passes through those establishments is staggeringly disgusting. When he first mentioned some actual numbers to me, I wondered why our race in general has not yet been struck dead for the sin of gluttony. We waste so much as a nation…this is one of the reasons that people form other countries, who have so little, dislike us. I guarantee that attempts at moderation feel great. I do it all of the time. I constantly turn my AC up, just one more degree, to discover that we really aren’t miserable at all. I don’t speed up to red lights and then slam on my brakes. I only plug in my air fresheners when we have guests. I walk into rooms all of the time to see if every light or fan that is on, actually needs to be on. I refuse to use the timers on our sprinklers…if the lawn is dying…then I water it. It feels fantastic. In my own little way I am making tiny sacrifices. I am moderating, and in the greater scheme of things, it does make a difference.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Crustless Pumpkin Pie

This sophisticated version of pumpkin pie is amazingly smooth & rich. It is also Gluten-Free & free of Refined Sugar. 


Ingredients:

29oz pumpkin puree - 1 lg. can
1 stick unsalted butter - softened
8oz cream cheese - softened
5 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c. honey
1 c. GF flour 






Whipped cream:

1 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract




Honey to drizzle on top.





Making it Happen:

Combine all of the ingredients for the pie in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until well combined. When the batter is smooth, pour it into a greased 9x13 baking pan and bake in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees for one hour.





Allow the pie to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.




To make the whipped cream, blend the chilled heavy cream in a chilled bowl on high speed until it begins to thicken, add the vanilla and continue blending until the cream is thick. 





Plate pie with whipped cream & drizzle with honey. Enjoy!