Skip to main content

Her Majesty, Queen Mataluni, from the Kingdom of Drama


Her Majesty, Queen Mataluni, from the Kingdom of Drama

I pick pocketed the title from a friend of mine who was referring to her own daughter. There is so much drama around this house that it is stifling. I tried to head it off before, when the girls were little, but it didn’t work. I had them trained to respond “On the stage!” when I asked them where drama belonged. I still threaten to send them to Interlochen when they are being dramatic. It is a fine arts school in northern Michigan. It’s not much of a threat though. I am sure that my girls would love it; there is the matter of being accepted, and the expense.

I have always preferred the company of men who don’t gossip and are straight to the point…and when they cry something is really, seriously wrong…or excruciatingly funny. Since I was a little girl I always found myself hanging out with the guys. I was an only child, and didn’t really spend all that much time around girls as a kid. It wasn’t until after I had children that I developed friendships with more than just a handful of women. I may not survive my two little drama queens…and they are still only eight and ten!

My oldest daughter is the one who likes to play the martyr. She is the Scarlett O’Hara of the family, so to speak. She is sweet and charming and wonderful a lot of the time. She is a darling, and a helper, and a hard worker out in public. When she is behind closed doors and she gets upset…whoa boy, watch out! When she finally shuts herself in her room for the epicenter of her tantrum, because if I had to endure one at close range, I swear my ears would bleed, I tend to hear these lines a lot: “Nobody cares, nobody understands, this is the worst day of my life, I always do everything around here and they do nothing, NOTHING!” A couple of times I have had to interrupt her rage, because I heard her say that she hated herself. I know she didn’t mean it…it’s just the climax of the storm, but all the same it’s not an okay thing to say.

My younger daughter is completely different, yet equally as dramatic. Help. Her fits tend to come in the form of pleading. “Oh, no, no…I can’t do it, it’s too hard, it doesn’t make any sense, and I’m not going to!” Today I pointed out to her that she really needs to get this behavior under control. I asked her how she thought she would feel, if she someday met a young man that she liked, and he saw her behaving that way. Writhing on the living room floor in the throws of “No, no, no, no…” She told me that I was humiliating her. I told her that she was wrong, and I was trying to help her by pointing out something relevant.

When the two of them get together in a snarky mood…Wow, just watch out! Sometimes my husband and I can witness these interactions with a light heart and simply roll our eyes and giggle at each other over the absurdity of the girls’ back-and-forth. However, when I am faced with these incidents, at a time when I want some peace and quiet, and the two of them go on, and on, and on, it’s pretty difficult to put up with. I don’t know how people with more than two girls survive. Yet I do know that with each new day we face, I am ready to meet the challenge of the drama…for my little queens. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…