Skip to main content

Behind the Mayonnaise…raising self-sufficient kids.


Behind the Mayonnaise…raising self-sufficient kids.

A very old friend and roommate of mine and I used to joke about how whenever anything was lost, it could always be found behind the mayonnaise. He was a typical male, and was constantly asking me where to find everything. I have kept the joke going with my husband over the years. Now, not only do I live with a man, but I also have three children to contend with. No one can ever find anything. I finally took a stand. I don’t find things for people anymore. Well, I do still help my husband out. We are partners after all, but the kiddos are on their own.

I am teaching my children to be resourceful and self-sufficient. It is important. Again, I stress, it is really important. I don’t always get it right. I fail in some areas. I don’t always tell my kids to go and look up a word when they ask me how to spell it…I do it a lot though, and I think that I do it a lot more than most parents do, which is why I am bringing it up.  Some friends of ours were staying with us and I literally listened to my friend’s son asking her to cut his toenails. That child was thirteen years old at the time. It took all of my self-restraint not to dive across the room and grab those clippers out of her hand! She didn’t realize at all that it was ridiculous for a child of that age not to be able to cut his own toenails. Because we love our children we must teach them to do things for themselves. We can’t keep coddling them and contributing to this lazy society. We are messing this thing up big time!

We have seasonal passes at Disney this year, as we did about four years ago. We also have a friend who does landscaping for the parks. He told us about the abundance of stroller parking meetings that he must attend every time that they re-design a guest area. If you have never been, wow…strollers as far as the eye can see. To be honest, we have never put our children in a stroller at the parks and the first time that we had passes our youngest was three. It’s a lot of walking and our kids have always done it on their own. I was literally a little concerned when they were younger, that someone who thought that we were abusing our kids by making them walk might approach us. I swear I have seen mentally normal children of nine, ten, and eleven years of age in strollers at those parks. It is disgusting. And yes, often the older children that I see being pushed along are very overweight, usually with an unhealthy snack in hand. I can’t understand why these parents don’t see that they are literally heading their kids towards a future like the one in the movie wall-e, where everyone is handicapped by their own gluttony.

My favorite comedian George Carlin did a bit about “Adorable Little Morons” once. Of course this speaks to children’s intelligence rather then their self-sufficiency, but it’s pretty much the same thing. I believe that his disgust in the description of these children inspired me to promise myself that I would never let it happen to my kids. Speaking to intelligence rather than self-reliance, aside from mental disability, most every child has the capacity to be smart, if they are only given the chance. We disable our children by doing everything for them. We make them weaker; we rob them of the confidence that comes from conquering challenges on their own. Please do not do this to your kids or to anyone else’s. Help, when help is really needed. Otherwise, let them learn to do things on their own. Teach, guide, and coach, don’t coddle and hinder self-development. How can we ever hope for our children to become interdependent, if we’re not even teaching them to be independent? Encourage them to find what they are seeking on their own. They will find it, it’s easy…besides it’s always right behind the mayonnaise.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…