Skip to main content

Finnegan…our Golden Retriever


Finnegan…our Golden Retriever



When I was about five years old my parents had me with them at a friend’s house for dinner. The friends had a very elderly Golden. I went stomping through the house, even though I had been warned to be careful, and stepped right in the middle of the dog’s belly. I am sure that I hurt the poor dog quite a bit, most dogs would have growled or even snapped at me, but the Golden did not. He jumped up and started licking me instead. That is when my mother fell in love with Golden Retrievers.

My mother has been breeding for about twenty years now. The dogs are her children. She has a healthy beautiful line that she breeds primarily in regards to temperament. She believes that families should be able to seek out these remarkable dogs that they can know will be wonderful with their children. I do believe in adoption, and I also do believe that there are terrible dog breeders out there who do deplorable things. There are also good and diligent ones out there like my mother. Her dogs live in her house and sleep by her bed. They are her family.

When we first moved to Florida, my old dog stayed with my mom. One hundred and twenty five pounds is a little big for Florida. After we were settled in a house here, we decided that we wanted one of my mother’s Goldens.  I don’t feel secure without a dog, and we knew that one of mom’s dogs would be perfect for the kids. They were five and five and three when we brought Finnegan home.

Finn is the most completely perfect dog I could possibly imagine for our family. She barely ever barks, would never to try and run off, and doesn’t chew on things. She doesn’t get into the garbage or up on the counters, and if she so much as ever growled at one of my kids I would pass out from the shock. Yes, she sheds a lot, and she needs to be groomed occasionally. She loves people so very much that the only behavior we ever have to deal with is her wanting to love everyone to death. She is probably the worst watchdog on the face of the earth…but that’s not what we were looking for in her.

My youngest daughter lies on top of Finn for a large part of the day. She also teaches her dog tricks and she is actually pretty good at it. Finnegan likes to carry her ball around in her mouth, she doesn’t play fetch, but she totes the ball around. I guess that it is a retriever thing. When I swim laps in the pool she likes to trot from end to end alongside me on the pool deck. I don’t know if she is cheering me on, or if she thinks that she is getting exercise.

Finn is terrified of thunderstorms and of the vacuum cleaner. She has nearly broken my neck a few times by wanting to hide right at my feet. She doesn’t operate in typical Golden fashion when it comes to food. Sometimes she just gives me a look when I offer her leftovers like: “You really expect me to eat this mom?” We are so blessed to have her. She has brought my children and my family endless amounts of comfort and happiness. If you have children and you are looking for a dog; I do strongly recommend a Golden.

If you are looking into purchasing a Golden Retriever or any kind of dog from a private breeder, please be diligent about researching their business. You should never be denied a tour of their facilities. Legitimate kennels are kept clean and the dogs should all look healthy. Good breeders make available documents on both the bitch and the sire, and they should have seven generations of lineage verified, so that you can confirm that inbreeding is not an issue. Breeders like my mother have their females certified for eyes, elbows, heart, and hips, which are the most common places we see medical problems in Goldens. Make sure that you know about your breeder to insure that you bring home a healthy dog.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…