Skip to main content

Sacrifice


Sacrifice
            So, if you know me and you are reading this, you already know that I prefer warm temperatures. I absolutely love living in Florida, and I keep the air in our house set at a temperature that makes most of my friends gasp. Believe me, when I go grocery shopping I take a sweater. Our AC broke a couple of days ago. Hopefully it is just a minor issue, as we have reason to suspect. We are waiting for about a week to have it repaired so that the repairman will be here while my husband is not at work.
            So, for about a week, we are living in ninety-degree temps. We have several very strong fans, and I haven’t been very uncomfortable. I think about my grandparents, and how they lived through it all summer, every summer and they didn’t even have the fans. We lose perspective sometimes. When I am feeling particularly overwhelmed I remind myself that my grandmother had three babies in cloth diapers, and no hot water in the house. She had to boil water to do the wash and then hang them out on the line. I have trouble fathoming how she did it.
            Sometimes we don’t have a clear vision of exactly what we have gotten used to, that we could really manage to do without. Then sometimes we sit back and realize exactly what we have been going without all along. This specifically applies to parents. We sacrifice a lot. After having our foster children, my husband and I decided that it was simply essential for us that we have one parent stay at home. I got that job because my husband can’t breastfeed, and the twins were essentially latched onto me for the first year of their life.
            Surviving as a single income family, with three children, requires an awful lot of sacrifice. I have never paid for a manicure or a pedicure in my life. The last time that I had my hair cut by a professional, it was done for free to donate to Locks of Love. I haven’t spent more than twenty dollars on an item of clothing since before my children were born. The last time that I purchased a pair of shoes for myself was about a year and a half ago. I store bottles of wine to share with guests, but when they’re not here, I drink boxed wine, all the way.
            I’m okay with all of this. Honestly, when there is more money around here, I will still be drinking boxed wine, I might just be able to afford a better brand. I don’t need manicures; I would like to be putting away for the kids for college instead. Rather than shoes, I would like to be able to visit our families more often, or put the kids in more extra curricular classes, or go out to dinner more frequently. Sacrificing stuff doesn’t bother me much at all. Experiences hold much more value in my mind.
            There is also the consideration that I am basically stuck with my three little minions twenty for hours a day. I get an afternoon here or there when my husband isn’t working and I run to the store by myself. That’s about it. Babysitters are definitely not in our budget. This is my choice though, and I see the evidence every single day, of how much this choice benefits my kids. All parents sacrifice. Lucky for me that I never had any aspirations of a high-powered career. It’s also a good thing that I prefer to wear flip-flops.
I know that I am doing the most important job I could ever do. Most of the time, I would admittedly describe myself as on the edge of insanity rather than blissfully fulfilled. I can laugh about it though, and I am genuinely happy. I may be sitting in ninety some degrees right now, but I consider myself pretty blessed. Yeah, there's sacrifice.  My kiddos are worth it.   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…