Skip to main content

Always kiss me goodnight.


Always kiss me goodnight.


            Several years ago one of my husbands close friends from childhood got married and we went to his wedding. I didn’t really know the woman that he was marrying, but I don’t like to give wedding gifts that I haven’t put some real thought into. I think that somewhere along the line my mid-western roots taught me that it was rude not to give thoughtful gifts. After searching, I finally found a pair of giant bed pillows with cases that had the bride and groom’s names on them and the phrase, always kiss me goodnight.
            So, yay me, good job, the pillows were adorable. The couple separated in less than two years. I feel sort of terrible…not that I could have known or anything. I wonder a lot about those pillows though. I’m sure they’ve probably been incinerated by now. I wonder if our friends followed the advice written on them. I know that it is simple and cliché, but it’s pretty good advice. When you go to sleep fighting, things do not magically sort themselves out overnight. There is work to be done. It’s time to talk and to listen, and to put the argument to sleep before you end the day. Or at least the time to agree to disagree. That you still love each other, and you can hash it out tomorrow.
            My husband and I will have our twelfth anniversary this year. We are both truly deeply blessed by the simple fact that we managed to find each other. I think that my husband is the greatest man on earth. He listens to me and I listen to him, and together we do the work to make a good marriage. The last twelve years have been far from easy. We’ve taken seven foster children into our home. I delivered twins, and then eighteen months later my youngest daughter. We have been through family crises, psychological struggles, numerous job changes and relocations. Through it all, even through the rough patches, we’ve been pretty happy.
            I can only shed a little light on why that is. My husband and I really communicate, I mean really communicate. At the roughest times in our marriage we have literally stayed awake the entire night so we could talk things out while our kids were sleeping. I don’t know if this approach can work in every relationship. I know that some people simply have quiet personalities and they don’t talk a lot. Maybe I am only suggesting that it’s worth a try to put a little more effort into communication. It has definitely worked out for us.
            I don’t lie to my husband. I am being really honest here. I do not lie about the teeny tiny little things, or the big ones. They are all the same. I make a constant effort to be truthful with him about thoughts that go through my mind, which can be, quite frankly, difficult to share. It can be a scary thing to do, and embarrassing. I know that it is a really good exercise for me though, because this is the guy that I am married to. He is my best friend and I value his opinion above all others. If I can’t trust him to accept me as I am, I can’t trust anyone.
            I decorated our bedroom wall with lines from one of our favorite songs. I think that it basically captures how we feel about each other. It’s a good mantra. I think that if we keep giving the trust that we do to one another, and keep putting in the work, this partnership is going to be a lifelong one.  Marriage is not easy; I consider it one of the many jobs that I do in my life. It is so awesomely rewarding though, it is worth so much work. It gives me comfort, safety, security, and love. It gives me the courage to take on life with a smile on my face.   


If you are interested in learning more about how you can create more alignment in your relationship, click here to check out our new free eBook:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…