Skip to main content

A Billion Flavors


A Billion Flavors

            I don’t think that we realize how limited we are as adults, or rather how limited we have been conditioned to be. When I really attempt to step back and get some perspective on my own education as a child, I can pretty clearly see that I was losing just as much as I was gaining in education. I was being groomed. They were giving me some facts and teaching me some skills, all the while quietly limiting my options and sculpting my direction.
            I sound a little bitter here, I guess I am. I certainly know that I should be. I had a public school education for the most part. I have a type of dyslexia that wasn’t diagnosed until I was in fifth grade, after I was seeing a psychologist for my anger issues. (Thank you Mrs. Barrett, for noticing me.) I was bored beyond belief through middle school and most of high school. Nothing that was being taught was really engaging me. I went to books and started learning on my own.
            I graduated high school a semester early after spending a year as a foreign exchange student. I had no interest in going to college then. I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. I had the idea in my head that a higher education would equate to working hard for four years and putting myself in debt so that someone could judge me on how much they agreed with the opinion I presented in the papers that I wrote. I find that really funny now. At the end, the best education I ever got in school was in floral design. I attended my parent’s school in Portland. 
            After just finishing my first novel, it suddenly occurred to me that I could have been doing this for the past twenty years. It took me three years to write the first one. I started out slow because it was just a silly notion in the beginning. I didn’t believe that I could really write, because I had always been taught that I couldn’t. It’s probably a miracle that I didn’t go to college, because if my high school teachers intimidated me about my ability to write, I can’t even fathom what a bunch of professors would have done to me.
            Sure, they encouraged me about my poetry, which there is little to no market for whatsoever. It’s sort of like a pat on the head, not many people are able to make a living as a poet. Otherwise, I was taught over and over and over again, that unless I could write the most amazing story ever told I might as well not even try. They postulated about how writers write what they know. I knew I couldn’t write a Hemmingway, or a Vonnegut, or a Bradbury. Those were the authors that I loved. That was what I knew. So I followed their advice and I never even tried.
            And I’m actually good at it. My teachers dissuaded me from doing something that I’m actually very good at. I’m not even as bothered about it for myself as I am for all of the other minds out there. My teachers did not offer me enough flavors. They were all about subtracting and not about adding. It’s very possible that I just didn’t happen to have the right teachers, and it’s just as possible that teachers are teaching kids better now than they were when I was a kid. I do not mean to put teachers down here. I know what a very difficult job they have and how hard they work. I don’t think it is even the teachers themselves that led me to believe I was incapable of something that I was good at. I believe that it was the system and the way in which the system operates.
            Kids need to be offered the world. They need to be presented with as many different ideas, cultures, flavors, colors, and genres as possible. We only have that little window of eighteen years to show them that one special thing that is going to get them excited. Every person can find something that lights them up and inspires them to excel in life. If the structure of our school systems is going to continue to try to take all of the possibilities but just a boring few away from our kids, we need to give them back. We need to offer up as many options to our kids as we can. We seriously need to demand that this be taught to kids in schools, but in the meantime we need to be teaching it ourselves. I don’t want for my kids to be limited. I don’t want for them to miss out on a life changing opportunity because someone tells them that it isn’t possible for them. I want for my kids to taste a billion flavors and find the one that they love!  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.

20 Things…you learn after moving to Florida.
1.There is a big difference between a roach and a palmetto bug. Real roaches are the guys from New York. They infest, they are spooky smart, they are dirty and nasty, and you have to work really hard to get rid of them. Palmetto bugs however, are big and creepy and dumb. You usually see them outside at night and they will fly right at your face. They don’t infest because they are native and they can’t survive in our AC temps. 2.Every public indoor place will always be frigid. Most of your friend’s houses will be as well. I take a sweater with me almost everywhere that I go, and if I forget to I regret it. 3.Outside of weather emergencies, weathermen are superfluous. In the rainy season, which is most of the time, there is an eighty percent chance of rain, every single day. The weather man has no idea what time it will rain, how hard, or for how long, and there is no way for him to predict it. You just have to go out there with your fingers cr…

The Power Of Willful Ignorance

I watched a woman say these words in a speech a few moments ago and nothing could be more true...willful ignorance is insanely powerful. Willful ignorance is the reason that good German people allowed their neighbors to be dragged off by the Nazis in the middle of the night. It is the reason that American people choose to believe our homeless are lazy and irresponsible instead of facing the reality that their situations have arisen because of widespread mental illness and cooperate greed. It is the reason that you will pick up a steak on your way home from work tonight, not bothering to find out where it came from, because you just don’t want to know. The truth is too disgusting.
I have gone on about the meat industry quite a bit and my goal here is not to do that. I love to eat meat, I will state that again, but the example that comes from our consumption of factory meat is so powerful when it comes to explaining willful ignorance that I want to use it. Out of ALL of the many, many,…

Christmas in Florida

Christmas in Florida
December tenth today and I swam my thirty laps in the pool. It’s pretty chilly, but I don’t really feel it after the second lap. I am so grateful that I am able to keep swimming this late into the season. My body responds much better to swimming than it does to running, and I still get a great cardio work out.
This is our seventh or eighth Christmas in Florida now. To be honest, it wasn’t much of an adjustment for me. I have lived in climates where we got tons of snow. I even graduated from high school in Northern Michigan, but I really don’t miss it. I am a worrier, so snow just makes me think of bad roads and car accidents. I think snow is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t like the cold. I would be perfectly happy if snow stayed on mountains. I would visit it to ski.
I finally convinced my husband for the first time this year that we really did not need a tree. He is partial to real ones, and I have no real love for artificial trees. Not once in all of the years…